Chapter 56/203: Alliances and Enemies

One really long chapter here!

Give us your thoughts on every sentence that catches your attention! Get a chance to be this week's CWC!

Vote please, and don't forget to share in the Athenas Weekly Editing Competition on Instagram! Our handle is author_athenas! Win a chance to be featured on our page and show us your editing skills!!

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

I placed the coffee cup on its corresponding plate, and transferred both to the serving trolley I had next to me. I also placed a glass and a water jug according to the etiquette I noticed the other maids in the kitchen doing.

My heartbeats paced up, as I roamed my observative gaze around the grand kitchen in this wing of the estate.

The kitchen, almost apartment-sized, had more than ten maids in operation. They were all operating like me, preparing breakfasts to various entities present in this grande palace. The breakfasts in operation varied, as some were being prepared on serving trolleys, meaning for individual people, like the one I was preparing, while others were prepared to be served on tables for multiple people.

I aesthetically prepared a plate of various bread types for his majesty, considering he'd requested a carbohydrates-rich meal, in addition to a variety of jams, butter, and other puddings.

This was by far my fifth day at the Ellington Surrey estate.

Days were passing relatively fast, considering I had minimal interaction with anyone throughout my days.

I only saw my employer on very particular times during the day, particularly when I served him breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He was slightly more lenient in that area in the sense that he would request certain servings and adjust their amounts. He would also take his medicine doses on their time as we'd agreed.

However other than that, interactions with Daisy were beyond limited.

He still emphasized on avoiding the usage of the door connecting our rooms without a valid reason, as well as innovating any services he didn't request.

And super honestly, I had chosen to stick to that for now.

Not only because I needed some time to get adjusted to my new attire and identity, considering last time I was caught by Lord Sebastian Keith, but also because his majesty was supposed to give his father feedback about me by the end of this week, where he'd decide whether I keep my position or not.

So if anything, I'd decided that staying on the safe side with R.E.C. seemed best for now.

I Smiled at how pretty the trolley looked, as I made sure to place tissues and utensils. Yep, perfect!

Upon my action, a maid beside me shifted, as she organized the tissues and utensils more orderly, smiling gently at me in the process.

I blinked at her, taking in her short raven hair, as well as freckled cute face and bright hazel eyes. She looked young, a bit older than me, and had light lipstick on, her name tag reading 'Evelyn'.

Nodding politely, I smiled back. "Um, thank you, I appreciate it."

She kept her gentle smile at me, "A newbie?" She turned at this, continuing her breakfast preparations while signalling that she was focusing with me.

I fidgeted, nodding silently.

"I see! Who are you serving today?" She kept her smooth smile, as she heated a tea pot in the process.