Chapter 58/205: Cutting off the Line

Happy 2nd Anniversary to this baby of ours!! Don't forget to check our interview with MaryamJaffar2 (link on our conversation board) posted in CELEBERATION of this anniversary!! It's a SIXTY questionned interview!

Now back here, this chapter will literally TWIST your emotions upside down! But we found it essential for various reasons, so hang on ;) ;) :)

Comment on a chance to be this week's CWC! And vote please!

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

Contrary to what I'd expected, no answer came from the other side of the line.

Silence.

Ultimate silence.

I bit my lips, waiting for some seconds. "Um, sir?"

Still, no answer.

But I felt him.

I felt his presence from the other side of the line.

And it was painful.

Torturous.

I hadn't expected him to call Charlotte.

Out of the blue.

After telling Daisy she reminded him of a certain someone who asked a lot of questions as well.

My heart clenched, and somehow...

All the pain and yearning I had there...

Started flaming up.

"So I have been told you have no wish to speak to me?"

My eyes widened, and I shuddered slightly.

At the cold, calm, and terrifyingly conceited tone which came from the other side of the line.

His voice was low.

And somehow, despite all its powerful traits...

Contained a pinch of... hesitation?

Woah... he...? Hesitant?

I gulped, my heart clenching as I realized how... bad I missed this side of him.

Pursing my lips, I gathered every single bit of strength I had in me to keep my shit together. Shit! Why did Alba have to tell him that?!

I wanted to speak with you, idiot!

I fidgeted, at a loss of words what to reply.

D-Do I deny it?!

I mean, how bad would it be to talk to him a bit?!

Or do I... do I stick to the plan?!

But... But for him to call... It must mean he...

Misses me a bit... possibly?

I parted my lips, preparing my answ–

"Anyhow, wise decision." His frozen, throaty, and ultimately unfazed voice came, as though he were reporting the most ordinary news in the world. "I am calling to inquire whether you are interested in a private assistant position in the sister Smith Corporates."

My eyes went wide. And they blurred.

I bit my lips, and they shook.

As his words sank in.

My body started shaking, as flashbacks of our intimate times and his body heat back during our last encounter in Spain flashed through my memory.

And they were topped with when he hugged me on the rooftop as he lost consciousness.