Chapter 20/167: Ball After-effects

Read, enjoy, vote, & comment!
~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

I dialed Scarlett's number for the fifth time today. 

Beep, beep, beep...

Yep, still no answer for the fifth time.

It has been four days since the Ellington Anniversary Ball, and I had been since then trying to contact my step sister who was supposedly back to Tottenham. 

—Or that's where I thought she was until I saw her days ago attempting to steal something from Trevor Ellington Conway's office, under the protection of the one and only Rickard Ellington Conway.

She had picked none of my calls, and it was really messing with my head. I needed to know what was up. What kind of plan did she and my employer have going? And why didn't I know of it?!!

One might wonder why I had not asked my employer directly? As he was more reachable? 

In turn I would laugh at such a suggestion. No like seriously, I'd really really laugh.

That is because I would directly think of the following irony: Scarlett was unreachable because her number was unavailable and she was in a different city, my employer was in the office right next to mine, with two phones (office and private) to connect us, and surprise surprise, was also unreachable.

I bit my lips, a long sigh escaping me.

We had not spoken a word since that night.

'You are the son of a murderer... I will never forgive you!' —My own words shot to my mind, and my heart clenched.

He had shut me out completely. 

I could not even say we're back to block one, because back then, he was cold because that's just him, and how he treats everyone except people who are at his very close circle.

But now... he purposely wanted to treat me like this.

He wanted to work based on the words he'd beard from me, without giving me any chance to redeem or alternate what I had said. 

For the past four days, I had not seen him even once. His office door, for the first time since I got employed, was constantly locked until he left, and he did not reply to any of my calls, even when I claimed they were work-related. If anything, he would stay on the line until I asked my work-related question, and then he would email me a minute or two later with the answer. 

I was honestly lost what to do.

I knew for a fact I was the one who would try and fix things, but well... how much was I gonna try... And how far was I going to take such tries...?

I sighed, lost in my own daz—

"Charlotte... Charlotte!!" I jumped slightly at the voice calling me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I blinked at Alba softly, and saw her raising an eyebrow at me as she frowned, "Aren't you going to pick that up, Senorita?" 

I gasped softly, noticing at that that the desk phone before me was ringing. 

I picked up, "Y-Yes, sir?" 

"Pick up earlier next time." His authoritative, freezing tone came, "And be at my office, now." And he cut off the line.

I shuddered. Good lord, that voice... 

I gulped and stood up, as my mind started jumping around in circles.