Chapter 30/177: Gold

No, it was not easy to be creative, finalize a chapter, and decide to update it. 

But Beirut, this one is for you.

Please take a moment to pray for all what's happening in our beloved capital and to its people. 

On a final note, we stress on the importance of having read the extra chapters on the Extra Material book for you to properly understand the references in this chapter. 

Thank you for all your continuous support, and please continue supporting us by voting and commenting. 

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

I held my breath tightly as I stood behind the now closed door of Sarah Dowell's room. 

Rickard Ellington Conway's harmonic and confident steps were heard, and I assumed he was approaching the bed. 

Some silent seconds passed, and I heard a faint and feminine sigh escape Sarah as she groaned softly from her new injury, yet silence remained. 

Knowing his majesty enough, I could tell he was taking his time to eye her, as he burned her with one of his concentrated, cold, and haughty gazes. 

His voice came at that, holding a deeply cold, yet slightly blaming arrogance:

"That was a foolish move."

Sarah's chuckle was heard, and this time, it was a genuine one, despite the fact that it was bittersweet. "Classic Rickard Ellington Conway." 

He didn't honor that with a reply, and I could tell he'd shot her a dangerous glare, as her voice came again, the typical and bubbly Sarah Dowell voice: "Ouch, Ricky! That inconsiderate glare of yours is hurting this young injured maiden more than my already existing woun–" 

His sharp, thoughtless, and dead cold voice cut her off: 

"Be silent!" I could imagine his neck muscles popped at this, as his tone deepened, "Have you any idea how reckless and anti-productive what you did was?" 

A soft gasp was heard, and I could tell Sarah Dowell was equally surprised by his... snap. I wanted to gasp too, but remembered the last time I was eavesdropping on their conversation in a hospital (back in the Harveston Hamlington shithead days), my gasp was what gave me off, so I kept silent. 

"You could have permanently rendered your arm immobile." His voice came, low and deep, "Do you never learn?" 

A few moments of silence passed, before Sarah's bubbly giggle was heard. 

"For the love of God!" She laughed loudly, "You're so fucking adorable!"  

No answer came to that, and I could tell he was just darkening his gaze ten folds, just freezing her. 

A sigh was heard, "I'm sorry." Sarah's voice came, "For worrying you. And for everything." Her tone got lower, "I bet my stupid actions even pushed Khaled away from a collaboration with you." A bitter chuckle was heard from her at that, "And away from me as well." She followed up, her tone upset, clearly regretful. 

Farther footsteps were heard at that, and looking to the end of the hall, I eyed none other than Sheikh Khaled bin Ahmed, as he was chatting with a doctor. 

Speak of the devil!

I eyed as the doctor pointed at the room, and figured he was probably asking for Sarah. 

Stealthily, I moved from behind the door and turned towards the other side of the hall, before he could see me. I wouldn't really like to make my debut as a stalker for the Sheikh as well, but I'm really just curious!