Chapter 76/223: Game Over

Finished reviewing this a bit earlier and thought why not – read, vote, enjoy and let us know your thoughts!

Chapter Suggested Soundtrack (8 hours of replay to write this lol):

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

The man in the Skeleton-themed necktie fidgetted, as he observed me skeptically after fixing his glasses.

Realizing he was already clearly unbalanced, I shot him a soft and gentle smile.

He needed to feel safe around Daisy if he was going to talk.

"Or, if you need something to sober up," The words slipped me almost involuntarily, "I can also help you—"

"I'll have a glass." He took one, gulping half of it down as he smiled at me eyeing my tag with... interest. "Daisy, hm?"

I forced a smile. Okay, not gonna lie this wasn't very... tough for a start. "Daisy Reinhart, pleasure to meet you, Mister...?"

"James Glass." He continued the sentence for me. "I'm an investment banker for the Ellington Enterprises."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Glass. Hope you're enjoying the ball?" I slowly started breaking the ice.

He sipped from his glass, a hiccup escaped him. "It's my second time here. But I have to say this is... much more than I could've ever imagined compared to last year. These guys really do own an empire."

I chuckled, roaming my eyes around with admiration. "You should see the bathrooms here, size of my apartment."

He chuckled back. "Can only imagine so, how long have you been here?"

Before I had the chance to answer, the man before me swayed, coughing in a gagging reflex as he held on to a chair next to him.

Placing the tray on a near table because I had the natural tendency to help, I gulped as I noticed he... has gestured for me to add to his glass once more.

Shit, what's... this guilt eating me?

I let out a soft breath.

Who am I kidding?

I really don't wanna do this to him, especially if I don't know him enough or know who he is.

I mean... I've tried... alcohol poisoning.

I wouldn't want to be contributing to someone else getting it.

There are situations where I just... draw the line.

"H-How about you take a break for a couple of minutes?" I offered, smiling sheepishly, "Just... conscious the ball is still ongoing and um..." I searched for words, roaming my eyes around as I was a bit lost what to do now.

And it was then that I saw people heading to the dance floor.

As I remembered Oblonsky's instruction on the dance.

"Maybe you might want to take on the dance floor?" I suggested.

He looked a bit surprised. And I eyed him in confusion.

He chuckled to himself for a moment, catching me off guard as he gave me a dazed look. "You're the first maid to refuse to refill for me tonight." He swayed slightly as he attempted keeping his balance, "Not sure if that's because you're nice or because I look dead drunk."