Chapter 23 - The Beheading

The rest of the day we all spent it together. Cooking, playing Wizard Chess, which Draco is pretty good at, and walking around outside the manor. Mrs. Malfoy took pride in her gardens. She maintained them herself. I had grown to love this place, though it was all dark, but it felt like something.

The next day, I had to leave for Chris'. I was all packed up and standing at the door. Mrs. Malfoy hugged me and whispered in my ear, "You make my son happy, thank you very much, sweetheart" and sniffled.

"Seriously woman? You don't cry like this when I leave" Draco said angrily, little jealous that his mother had grown to like me more than him.

"I do so, but you don't like it" she said lightly hitting his shoulder.

"Thank you, Mrs. Malfoy. I had a great time here, if I want to know something, I'll write to you" I said kindly.

"I'll walk her out" Draco said taking my luggage and holding my hand.

"What do you wanna know about?" Draco asked as the elves placed my luggage into the carriage. "Your mother and mine were best friends, back when they were in Hogwarts" I said thanking the elf who took the last bag of luggage from my hand.

"Draco, you didn't have to go to the trouble to send me off in a private carriage, I would've managed the muggle train" I said looking at the carriage. "Oh, it's no trouble. I just wish you were here, for the rest of the holidays" he said cupping my cheeks. He placed a long kiss on my lips and said, "Leave, before I or my mother change our minds" I chuckled and hugged him, "Thank you Draco, for the wonderful time here, it was amazing. I'll see you soon" and he helped me up in the carriage and I left.

Chris was happy to see me, he didn't even let me get off the carriage and jumped in it and hugged me, Mr. and Mrs. Wallace were happy to see me. I spent the rest of the holidays there and Chris and I left for the station. We soon arrived at Hogwarts and quickly went to see Hagrid. He was by the lake, skipping rocks in it.

"How did it go, Hagrid? The Hearing?" Hermione asked, putting her hands in her pocket. Harry and I were sitting on a huge rock, while Hermione and Ron were standing far away from us.

"So, how were your holidays?" asked Harry, I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed, knowing that Draco will not be the same, since we're back to Hogwarts "Alright, thank you for the gifts, it was too much, you didn't have to"

"The committee members took turns talking about why we were there. Then I had my chance to speak. I told my piece and said how Buckbeak would never hurt anyone intentionally and that he was a good hippogriff" he sighed and continued, "And then, Lucius Malfoy got up" 

So that's why Mr. Malfoy was not home for this Christmas.

"He said all wrong things, that Buckbeak was a deadly and dangerous creature"

"And then?" Hermione asked.

"And then he asked for the worst, old Lucius" I quickly got up from the rock and going near the shore, not liking where the conversation was going.

"They're not sacking you, are they?" Ron asked.

"No, I'm not" he went silent, I heard silent sobs escaping his mouth.

"Buckbeak's been sentenced to death!" he said loudly and threw a rock, angrily in the lake. I gasped and quickly ran over to him in the lake and hugged him.

"Hagrid, I'm sorry, he doesn't deserve it, I'm-" I couldn't get any words out. I was furious, I quickly connected the dots, to as why Lucius Malfoy wasn't home for Christmas, how Draco asked me to come over for the holidays, how much he wanted me to stay. The next time I see him, there's gonna be no straight bone in his body.