Aftermath

I slept like a baby. I didn't even hear my alarm going off. I had to jump out of bed quickly once I saw what time it was. I hated waking up like this, especially after the kind of night that I had. I quickly made myself look presentable and stoped in front of my door. My mind resembled a bee hive, milions of thoughts howled inside as I wondered what will it be like with everyone and especially with Damiano after yesterday. I couldn't let myself get lost in the thoughts, because I already got up late and I was sure there will be a lot of work cleaning everything up. 

I'm not going to lie, I was excited to see him. Butterflies ran through my body like crazy, but this time I didn't mind the feeling. I went downstairs to see the damage after our party, but it was relatively clean. Vic layed on the couch, scrolling.

Ciao, bella, - she greeted me not lifting her eyes from the screen.
Ciao, - I yawned.
— Didn't sleep well? - she smiled at me.
— The opposite actually, it just wasn't enough. 

I collected a few glasses from the table and headed to the kitchen to load the dishwasher. I wiped all the surfaces, gathered pillows we used to sit outside near the pool and put them back on the lounge chairs. All the food was already put away, by Vic I think. Then it was time to head into basement. The room caused me to relive all the memories of last night. Smiling to myself, I cleaned up the seats, gathered all the bottles and glasses and put them by the stairs to bring up to the kitchen once I was done with the basement. I entered a studio and another wave of memories consumed me. The sight of broken guitar made me come back to reality. I picked it up and examined it. It wasn't broken to pieces, but a large chunk of wood was missing from the back. It was somehow heartbreaking to see an instrument that cannot play its sound anymore. Then I remembered the part of contract that said there should be no damaged property on my watch. Isla's calming words came back too, but I was still nervous. I carefully put it on the couch and collected the broken part to put them in one place. 

Once I was done cleaning main areas, it was time to check on everybody's rooms. So far I only saw Vic and Ethan, who went out for a smoke. I got their permission and even though they said there was nothing for me to do there, I still went to check their bedrooms. Victoria's room was chaotic, but in a good way. It was clean, but full of clutter, that depicted her personality so well. I walked around like I was in a museum. There was a picture of her and her parents, I assumed. They were making funny faces and looked very happy. A few necklaces were hanging off the edge of her bedside table. The pendants were mostly crosses. I will have to ask her if she's into faith or if it's just an edgy accsessory. Ethan surprised me with his cleanliness. You could never guess somebody was in that room recently. Or maybe he didn't sleep here? I went to check his bathroom and couldn't resist to take a peak at what hair products he's using. There was only a bottle of "head and shoulders". I was surprised it wasn't something fancy. I laughed at my curiosity and went out. I decided to knock on Thomas' door.

— Come in! - I heard. I slowly opened the door.
— Good morning, - he smiled, buttoning his shirt up.
— Good morning, am I interrupting?
— Not at all, I was getting ready to meet my friends in town, - he responded.
— Oh, okay, do you need any help? - I offered.
— I'm running a bit late, so if you could hang these, - he motioned towards a pile of t-shirts on his bed, - It would be amazing.
— Of course, - I smiled and grabbed a hanger. 
— How are you feeling today? - he asked fixing his collar.
— Surprisingly well, what about you?
— I'm jealous. I always get the worst headache, doesn't matter if I drank a glass or the whole bottle, - he sighed.
— I have some painkillers in my room, I can grab it for you.
— I already took one, but thanks, - he smiled, - Okay I'm gonna head out now, see ya! - he waved. I answered with a smile and hung the last shirt in his closet. Other than that his room was clean too, so I went back to the hallway. I glanced at Damiano's door. Even that made me smile like a crazy person. I walked up to it and gently knocked. No answer, still sleeping. I decided not to bother him and went downstairs to make myself breakfast.

There were a lot of leftovers from yesterday. Ethan ate his favorite burger and fries, Vic was flipping through the journal snacking on some hazelnuts and I opened the fridge to pick my meal. I took a slice of pizza. 
— You're not going to heat it up? - Ethan lifted an eyebrow as I took a first bite.
— Uhm, no, I actually prefer it cold, - I responded.
— I could never understand you, - he said, - It's hard and gross, unless you eat it straight out of the oven.
— I disagree, - I chuckled and he smiled back. We had a small talk while eating. It was completely different from yesterday, when I felt uneasy in his company. Now even silence was comfortable. 

Once I ate, I asked Vic and Ethan about the broken guitar. Apparently Thomas got a little to excited immitating Victoria playing and smashed it on the nearby chair. Nice skill. I had to call Isla to tell her about it, but I felt nervous, not knowing what to say and what to keep in secret. I paced around with my phone in hand. 
— Stop pacing, I'll tell her, I have to call her anyway, - Ethan chuckled. I felt relieved hearing that. It started raining and it gave a cozy atmosphere to the whole house. A chilly wind made the curtains dance and I decided to close the window. Victoria had an idea to light the fireplace and I was very on board with that. Vic went outside to bring some firewood and I cleaned out the ashes. 

I made myself comfortable on the couch, watching the flame dance. Ethan came back after his call with Isla and reassured  me that I don't have to worry about the broken instrument. Now I can relax. I was so eager for Damiano to finally come downstairs. I imagined us both curled up in front of the fireplace. That would be an absolute dream, although I might not be brave enough to do that if it actually happened. I wondered if others noticed our behaviour last night. Of course I could't ask, it would be too awkward and also they might tell Damiano I asked that and that would be embarracing too. My mind went back to our kiss in bed. Damn, he left me on a cliff hanger. I will absolutely take my revenge on him. 

Vic did some online shopping and I helped her pick between various clothing pieces. I could never pull off a giant lime green faux fur coat, but I had no doubt she would. Ethan went to the studio room to practice, leaving me and Vic alone. It was surprising, that I felt so close to her. It looked like we were childhood friends or something. She understood all my jokes and I could say whatever comes to my mind to her. I looked at the clock. It showed 3:45 PM. Well, even if I feel sorry for interrupting his sweet dreams, I needed to wake Damiano up, otherwise he would completely ruin his sleeping schedule. 

— I'm gonna go pull Damiano out of bed, - I said standing up.
— Oh, good luck, girl, - Vic giggled, - He sleeps like a bear.
— I'm good with animals, - I chuckled, leaving the room.

I knocked gently again. He didn't answer, so I quietly opened the door. I went up to the bed, but he wasn't there.
— Damiano? - I said out loud. No response. I checked his balcony and bathroom. He was gone. Just a messy bed left behind. I started making it, when I found an open sketchbook under his pillow. There were some lyrics scribbled in messy writing. Most of it was crossed out, swapped around and marked with symbols I didn't understand. I could only read the line at te bottom of the page. It was written bold and underlined. "I have to escape before it's too late."

A cold sweat ran through me, as a thought that this could be what he thinks after last night, came into my head. I know it's probably stupid to associate myself with everything, but you can never understand artists. Out of curiousity, I opened his closet, knowing for a fact he had some clothes there. My heart sank when I saw it empty.