The perfect storm

"Dear kiddo,

It's been a while since the last update, I am sorry. No wait, actually, YOU were so naughty keeping mommy awake with your kicks that she had no energy to do anything! I can see you'll be a little prankster, because just a few minutes ago you kicked so hard, I got scared and broke my favorite mug!

Now that the mess is cleaned up by your "most loving auntie in the world" (yes, Victoria, she demanded I call her that), I finally sat down to write. You know, this little accident reminded me of the day your grandparents found out we are expecting You. The morning was so gloomy that day and I felt really angry, because uncle River, grandma and grandpa were supposed to leave the next day and I really wanted everything to go perfect. I felt so much better physically, but having them over for a week on top of meeting your nonni for the first time a few days before was a little too hectic for mommy's brain.

Your dad was very excited to finally break the news to everyone. He didn't care about the weather, how we looked, where we went, he just paced around doing everything and nothing at the same time which drove me crazy, but was kind of cute to watch. When I got ready he drove us to a beautiful farmhouse that was surrounded by vineyards. Your nonni and uncle Jacopo were already there, preparing a table outside, even though the wind was hinting it was probably not the best idea. Everyone gathered at the table and I felt the jitters, realising what was about to happen. Your dad hield my hand reassuringly, waiting for my cue, but I wanted everyone to fully relax, eat a little... or maybe I was just procrastinating. 

As the sun peeked out through the clouds, I decided I was finally ready to do it. Grandma and grandpa were walking in the garden with nonna as I squeezed your dad's hand to let him know it's the time. Just as he was about to go get them, the wind almost blew everything off the table, but we tried to ignore it. I heard a glass shatter and thought it was because of wind, but it was your grandma, who looked pale while holding a phone up to her ear. Everyone was looking at her and I felt my heart beating faster and faster. The sun disappeared behind the clouds as we fought the wind rushing over to her.

— What happened? - I asked as soon as she could hear me.
— Sky, are you pregnant?! - she gasped.
— What?! - nonna was also shocked, almost dropping the glass shards she collected from the ground. 
I was caught off guard completely, I didn't expect anything to take away the oportunity to announce it myself, especially since dad's manager dealt with that little speculation leak that scared us so much after coming back to Rome. My eyes darted between everyone that were looking at me expectantly and I just stood there silently. Your nonno, who along with uncle Jacopo has previously tried to keep the tablecloth from sending our dishes up in the wind, ran up to us saying we should hurry and get everything inside before the storm comes, but then realised something major was happening and looked at us questioningly. That was the moment your dad started laughing like an idiot and I just looked up at the sky, trying to see how bad the situation was getting.
— Sky? - grandpa finally broke his silence.
— Who told you that? - I looked at grandma as she was still clutching her phone to her chest.
— Yes, she is pregnant! - your dad clapped his hands still laughing. Everyone, including me, looked at him in disbelief and then both of your grandmas started speaking and screaming over each other. It was such a chaos, I couldn't understand if they were happy or angry. We felt the cold rain becoming heavier and heavier and dad rushed me inside. Through the window I watched everyone hurriedly gathering our stuff and rushing it inside as if nothing happened a few minuter before.

Yeah, it was so far from what I imagined it looking like, but you know what? When the stuff was finally saved from the rain and everyone rushed inside, soaked and out of breath, they were all laughing at he whirlwind of events and I saw how united they were, despite meeting each other just a few days ago. It calmed my heart and I took your dad's hand announcing You again. I no longer worried what they were going to think and I did not need to worry before, because if only you could have seen their reaction... They started kissing each other and coming up with names, it was a perfect storm. It really was.

It taught me to appreciate the beauty of life once again. It made me realise how much of this unwanted, unnecessary pressure is coming from us forming idealistic expectations rather than going with the flow. I will make sure to teach you that. I'll teach you to be spontaneous and adventurous, to live your life to the fullest and never give up on things if they don't turn out as you imagined. 

On that note I am ending this entry, hoping to write another one soon (fingers crossed, you will behave). Like always, our love for you is growing even stronger each day and everyone is beyond excited and eager to see you!

Love, mom <3"

I put the pen down smiling as Damiano plopped on the couch next to me.
— Can I read it? - he smiled.
— Um, it's not addressed to you, mister, - I playfully knudged him.
— Did you badmouth me again? - he put his arm around my shoulders.
— I don't know, - I looked away chuckling.
— Are you ready for tomorrow? - he asked, looking at the clock.
— I still need to pack a few minor things, but other than that yes, - I nodded.

Even though things calmed down a little since the court hearing was over, I still felt like I needed to get away from the house, from this city that I absolutely love. I just needed a change of scenery and knowing I'll be seeing Ethan, Thomas and Saf again really put a smile on my face.