Stalker

— What? What's going on? - I asked confused, trying to put my shoes on with one hand.
— I don't know, she's not teling me... Just come, okay? She's frantic and I don't know what to do, - Brandon's voice was shaky, indicating he was serious.
— Okay, I'll be there, - I ended the call, grabbing my keys and blowing the candle that was still burning on my dining table.

I quickly locked the door and ran down the stairs, trying to catch up to Damiano, but he was already outside and by the time I ran out of the building, he was getting in the taxi. I called after him, but it was too late. I cursed loudly and tried to catch another taxi to take me to Saf. I Bit my lip nervously once I was sitting in the car. I wondered what was going on with my best friend. Ususally I was the one needing help and emotional support, so this whole scenario was unfamiliar to me. At the same time I was angry at myself for fucking things up with Damiano. I was also angry at him for jumping to conclusions. If I didn't pick up the phone, who knows what would have happened with Saf... All I asked from him was patience and he just left without giving me a chance to speak.

Brandon opened the door, looking distraught. I rushed in and went straight to Saf's bedroom, where I found her sitting on the bed, leaning over her knees with a glass of water in hand.
— Hey... How are you? - I sat beside her, hugging her over the shoulder.
— What are you doing here? - She asked surprised.
— Brandon called me. What's going on? He said you were frantic...
— Oh, no, I'm okay... - She tried to act normal, but I saw right through it.
— Saf, I know you since childhood. I see you're not okay. Just tell me.
She took a deep breath, and I noticed her hands starting to shake. I managed to get her to lie down on the bed.
— You're going to be mad about this, - she began talking after collecting herself.
— Whatever it is, I promise I'll be by your side, - I responded, holding her hand.
— Remember Lorenzo? The guy I met at the club and started dating? 
— Yeah.
— Well, we had a falling out as you know and eventually we broke up. I didn't notice it at first, but he started following me everywhere. He would even get into my office somehow and leave notes threatening to kill himself if we don't get back together or that he would make me regret ending things with him...
— Oh my god! WHy didn't you tell me?! - I was shook hearing her words.
— It's not all... I reported him to the police but they couldn't do anything because of lack of evidence. After that he stopped for a while and I thought that was the end of it, but... - her hand began shaking again and her breathing got faster.
— It's okay, Saf, I'm with you, - I tried to calm her.
— He started breaking into my old apartment. My roommate caught him one night, sneaking out, but she didn't see his face because he managed to escape before she could switch the light on. I know it was him, because he came a few more times and left those notes on my bedside table... It drove me and my roommate insane, because he was like a ghost, haunting our apartment without us being able to catch him. It made my roommate leave for a few weeks and it was the reason I moved here.

I was so taken aback from what she was telling me. It all made sense, the gated building, high level of security, new apartment in a neighbourhood, that was without a doubt over her budget. 
— After moving I only saw him near my office a few times, but he switched to texts again and I got a restraining order, so don't worry, he cannot bother me anymore... - she looked at me serious, - Today I found out he followed me to Verona when I was away on my work trip, remember?
— Mhmm.. - I nodded.
— Well basically, I met someone there... We're seeing each other to this day-
— What? - I was in a shock again.
— Yes, I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I have my reasons. His work is kind of demanding, so we had to be cautious and today... Today Lorenzo texted me about having something that could complicate things for him and his career... - tears appeared in her eyes.
— But what could he possibly do? Maybe he's just teasing you? - I tried to think logically.
— No, I saw the proof, Sky... Please don't ask me any more questions, I promise I will tell you everything as soon as I'm able to...
— Okay, but why didn't you tell me everything sooner? I would have helped you, you didn't have to go through this alone... 
— You were going through hard times yourself and I didn't want to add...
— Oh, Saf, - I sighed, squeezing her hand. I couldn't hold back tears anymore. It hurt me to realize how bad of a friend I am. I didn't even notice what she was going through... I didn't even ask how she was, never gave a second thought about her sudden changes in living situation, only focusing on my own problems... Even today I was torn between going after Damiano and coming here. I don't deserve her as a best friend. 

She managed to fall asleep and I left her room to check if Brandon was still here. He was understanding enough not to interrupt us even once, giving us as much privacy as we needed, even though we ended up talking for a good hour. He was sitting by the window in a second bedroom, reading a random book.
— Hey, - I stopped in the doorway.
— How is she? - he put the book downn, facing me.
— Fell asleep, - I smiled, - Thank you for taking care of her.
— Oh, you don't need to, - he smiled, - It was a lucky coincidence, that I ran into her on my way to a grocery shop.
— What did she do?
— She was leaning against the wall, looking at her phone while hyperventilating. I managed to calm her down a little, but she was shaking really bad, so I took her home. Good thing you sent me her address earlier, because she couldn't even direct me.
— And I had no idea what she's been through... - I crossed my arms, trying not to cry again.
— Hey, I don't know what she told you, but don't beat yourself up, okay? You're here for her now and that's what matters the most.
I wanted to believe his words, but deep down I knew it wasn't true. I brewed some coffee for Brandon before he left. I was glad he didn't bring up the situation with Damiano, because I was not ready to talk about it after the bomb Saf dropped on me. 

I decided to stay the night, because it was already late and I didn't want to leave my friend alone. I took off her work clothes, that she still had on, took her spare t-shirt and crawled into bed, beside her. She was sleeping peacefully and I couldn't get myself to do the same. After unsuccessfully trying to think of a solution to the situation that was bothering her, my mind went back to Damiano. I needed to get those thoughts out somehow, so I took my phone and started typing.

" Remember when I said I needed to focus on my life, because it was so easy for me to get lost in yours? Well, today I got reminded of that again. Maybe all of our disagreements is just a way for universe to tell us that we're not meant to be? I got reminded painfully, how neglecting I can be when I have you around. You're not to blame for that, it's me. It's just the way my body reacts to yours. The way my mind pushes everything else away, when you are around. It hurts me, it really does... But it hurts others even more. I don't want to say goodbye. You told me that what I wanted was always there in my heart and it truly is. I was just confused, angry, tired... I wasn't able to give you the answer you were waiting for so long, even though it's right there. I had to choose between running after you and being there for my friend. And you know what? I'm okay with letting you go... It's the price I have to pay for being so self-centered. I'm sorry for disappointing you, but I know you will understand if "you and me" still has a chance in the future. For now, though, I need to focus on the people that are always there for me and repay the debt I got myself into. I love you. I hope to tell you this in person sometime again."