Highs and lows

We both stood frozen, looking at each other for a while.
— Hey, bunny, - he smiled awkwardly and I just leaped into his arms. My emotions from all the hurt and last night's conversation errupted like a volcano and I started sobbing, pressing myself deeper into our hug. He didn't seem to get uncomfortable by that. He slowly walked inside and closed the door, not letting me go even for a second, then he stroked my hair silently until I finaly let go of him.
— I'm sorry, - I said embarrassed, wiping away the tears.
— Don't be, - his eyes were glistening too, but he knew how to control his emotions beter than I did.
— What are you doing here? - I snapped out of the initial surprise.
— I came here, because we need to talk, Sky, - he looked very worried.
— If you're going to tell me about Giorgia, I already know.
— H-how? - he got really confused.
— She visited me last night.
— What did she do? Did she upset you? How are you feeling? - he grabbed my hands.
— She just confessed she drugged him that night, - my tears were back, - It was a civil conversation, don't worry.
— I can't believe the audacity of that woman! - he got really angry, - But I guess there's less work for me to do then... Sky, Damiano's in a really bad shape now. He's drunk every day despite our efforts to keep him away from alcohol and last night he almost crossed the line...
— What happened? - I got nervous, seeing how upset he was.
— Long story short, we were partying with another band at the house and I let him go smoke with two guys, but got a bad feeling and when I went outside to find them, I barely stopped him from taking drugs.
— But... it's not like him to do things like this... - I bit my lip, confused.
— Yeah, he's just a mess and he really needs you, Sky. Will you come back with me to resolve things? - he looked at me expectantly.
— I-I... don't know what to say, - I was confused.

I wanted to see him, to help him, but... Even though I now knew what had actually happened that night, the hurt didn't just disappear because of it. My heart still needed time to heal and I felt like it was too soon for me to get thrown back into the life I thought I'd never have again. Yes, it's incredibly selfish to think these things and my heart was fighting with my head so much, but what I realised during the past weeks is that you sometimes have to be selfish. I had to take care of myself too. Even though I didn't drown my pain in alcohol, I was still hurting as much as he was and I had to deal with it myself. And how can we be sure that me showing up was what he needed? Maybe I'm the last person he wants to see, maybe he's so incredibly angry and disappointed in me for not listening to him when he tried to explain everything...

My thoughts were interrupted by his ringing phone.
— I'm sorry, it's Vic, I have to take this, - he said and answered the phone.
He looked really concerned about something she said.
— I'm... in Rome now, but don't worry, I'll be back as soon as possible, okay? Get some ice and call Isla, - he started pacing around.
— What's going on? - I asked as soon as he ended the call.
— He has a terrible fever, - Ethan sighed, - Vic said his condition is really badand it's possible he managed to still take some kind of substance...
— Let's go right now, - I forgot all my doubts and worries. I no longer cared about my own hurt. I was so angry at Damiano for doing this to himself, but more than that I was worried. I quickly threw a few clothes and the most important hygene products into a backpack while Ethan looked for a flight to book.
— The soonest one is in the afternoon, - he updated me, sighing.
— Let's go by a train or a car or something! - I started feeling frantic, I just needed to see Damiano.
— I have a car at my parents' house, we could go pick it up, - he pointed at me like I was a genius. 

We flew out of the apartment in incredible speed. A taxi cab was already waiting for us outside. I know I overdramatized the situation, like I always do, but drugs were a foreign topic to me. Apart from weed, nobody in my circle was even close to thinking about experimenting with these things. Now suddenly I heard not about one but possibly two times someone I cared about deeply has taken that shit. Maybe my knowlege about this stuff was high-school level, but I knew damn right how these things can damage you even if it's your first time trying it. Alongside uncontrolable nervousness, I felt rage building up inside of me. It's better for Giorgia not to cross paths with me while I'm in this state, because god knows what I will do to her. 

We stopped in front of a beautiful house. It's walls were white, covered in wines, that wrapped around the corner. During all this rush and worrying, I didn't even process that I was about to see where Ethan spent his childhood. Childhood homes are a wonderful source of information. The way we are stems from our upbringing and our history gets written in the walls, that then radiate it to everyone that comes in. We didn't go inside this time, Ethan just opened the garage and drove his Alfa Romeo out. We put our stuff on the back seat and got back on the road. 

********************************

An hour ago

VICTORIA'S POV
********************************

Lack of sleep finally kicked in as I sat at the kitchen table, playing around with an empty bottle of wine. I poured out everything I could find in this house. I knew how exhausted Ethan was from babysiting Damiano and he was unfortunately the only one that succeeded at it, if you could even say that, so I tried to make it easier in any way I came up with. These days felt like a nightmare I wasn't able to stop. I was lost in time in this dark cycle of seeing my best friend, one of the closest people to me destroy himself... again. I hoped to be ready for it this time as we already helped him get back on his feet after his breakup with Giorgia. Unfortunately my hopes didn't turn into reality. 

I slowly got up and put the bottle to the pile. I couldn't let myself fall asleep despite my energy running lower and lower. I went upstairs to check up on Damiano. He was sleeping deeply the last time I saw him, but he trained all of us to be paranoid by now. The curtains were closed, making the room look like a cave. I got closer to the bed, and he mumbled something, startling me a little. I saw he was awake now, but something about the way he looked gave me flashbacks from the past. Nervous, I went up to the window and opened the curtains so light would come in. His body was limp and he looked like he struggled with himself, turning his head in different directions.
— Are you okay? - I turned his face at me and I didn't need an answer anymore. He was burning hot. I took off his blanket and ran to get a thermometer. Not this again, not this again... His state reminded me of the day that was so traumatizing, I tried to block it out of my memory. I shoved the thermometer in his armpit and hield his hand tightly against his side because I didn't trust he was able to do it himself.
— I feel so... lightheaded... - he said and I was surprised he could speak so clearly.
— Try to relax, I'm here, you'll be okay, - I stroked his hair, silently panicking inside. 
The thermometer showed me 39°C and I was so out of my mind, I couldn't concentrate on what to do next. I picked up my phone and called Ethan.
— Hello?- It didn't take long for him to pick up.
— Hey, Damiano's condition is really bad, I don't know what happened, but he looks like he might have taken something... more than alcohol, - I bit my lip, looking at a shell of a human that he was.
— How is that possible? I stopped him before he could do it.... What's going on with him? - he asked concerned.
— He's barely concious and his body temperature is really high... I would call an ambulance, but I don't know if it's the best thing to do... Where are you? Can you come help me? I'm so lost, - I paced around the room.
— I'm... in Rome now, but don't worry, I'll be back as soon as possible, okay? Get some ice and call Isla, - he started
— Okay, bye, - I ended the call immediately. It took me a while to process what he just said. Rome???

*********************************
There's also a new part in my second story "BUNNY"! Check it out!
Thank You for the support! <3