The truth. Part II

*The day of press conference*

*GIORGIA'S POV*

I made sure to put some looser clothes on, as Isla instructed me and checked myself in the mirror for the last time before leaving the hotel room. My taxi was already waiting, so I quickly jumped in and told the address of the venue. I texted Isla to confirm I was on my way. I couldn't believe I was going to do it... I knew I did some pretty messed up things in the past, but I wanted to think that I am past that. When my marriage ended it broke my heart, but it also set me free from the person I was back then. It was important for me to grow, learn from my mistakes and never repeat them again. Still, here I was, on my way to ruin their lives again... 

I sat in the farthest corner of the hall, to hide behind the audience. They came in and sat by the microphones, looking happy. I didn't realise how much I've missed Victoria, Thomas and Ethan... Sure, for the past... few years we weren't that close, more like the opposite. They had every reason to dislike me and still it didn't scrap the memories from all the good time we once had. My heart was beating so fast, I worried people next to me would hear it. 

The conference started and journalists stood up one by one to ask questions. Majority of them were about Damiano's new relationship, of course. It hurt a little having to listen to him talk about her, but... What hurt me the most was seeing how genuinely happy he looked, how his eyes lit up everytime someone mentioned her name. His shy smile and blushing cheeks when he got asked about their future... I knew his body language quite well and right now it communicated nothing else than honesty. It's not that he had those true feelings, that killed me, it's the fact that after the conference ends, I will have to crush his heart again.

As the wave of applause filled the room, I took a last look at all of them, apologising in my mind for what I was about to do and slowly walked to the corner, to let the leaving people pass. I jumped, when Isla touched my shoulder.
— I'll make sure others leave him alone for a second, as soon as we leave, you have to make your move and try your best to get him to listen to you, otherwise I won't be able to help you, - she discretely whispered to me and went towards the stage. I took a few deep breaths trying to calm myself down, but I was still on the verge of tears. I watched Isla leave with Ethan, Vic and Thomas and approached Damiano, who was doing something on his phone.

— Hey... - suddenly I forgot how to talk. He lifted his face with a slight smile, that faded away as soon as he saw me.
— What are you doing here? - he leaned away from me.
— I'm sorry, I really wouldn't be here, but we have to talk about something really important, - I looked at him.
— We have nothing to talk about, I'm not falling to one of your tricks again, just leave me alone, Giorgia.
— I know you don't trust me and I'm not asking you to, but believe me, Damiano it's really important... - tears escaped my eyes and I turned away from him to hide it.
— Fine, - he sighed, - I hope I'm not going to regret this.
— C-can we go somewhere more private? - I asked.
— Why?
— It's a personal matter.
— There's a staff hall behind that door, - he motioned to the side, - It's best I can offer, I'm not going anywhere more private than that with you.
— It will work, - I nodded. He stood of from the table and climbed off the stage to lead me through that door. Luckily there were no people around.
— So? - he crossed his hands.
— Do you remember the night we last saw each other? - I looked up at him.
— When we accidentally bumped into each other at the bar? - he furrowed his brows.
— Yes.
— Barely, I was quite... out of shape that night, - he looked away.
— Yes, I was too, but I remember it clearly now... We talked briefly and parted ways, but do you remember how that night ended? - I bit the corner of my lip, trying not to show my anxiety.
— I don't know, I don't think so... Why is this relevant? Cut to the chase, I don't have all night, - he grew impatient.
— Well, we both were too intoxicated to know better and... There's no graceful way to say it, but... We hooked up. In the bathroom, do you remember?
— I don't and I doubt it happened, - he sighed, looking at the door.
— Well, I don't - I placed a hand on my stomach the way pregnant women do. It made me feel sick, but I had no other option. He looked at me confused.
— I'm pregnant, Dam, - my voice was shaky from the lump that was forming in my throat.
— Congratulations? - he shrugged, still confused.
— You don't get it, do you? - I laughed through the tears, - The baby is yours, I know it's the last thing you want to hear, but...
— You're lying, - he was about to leave, but I stopped him.
— I know it's hard for you to trust me, we can to a paternity test, - I looked him in the eye, showing the positive pregnancy test, that Isla stole from Sky - I know it's yours, I had no other partner since that night.

His face got pale as he tried to work out if I was fooling him or if it was actually real. 
— I don't expect anything from you, I wasn't even going to tell you, but I think you have a right to know, as this baby has a right to at least have a chance to know both of his parents, - I looked at my stomach again.
— I don't understand... - he looked at me shocked, - I really don't know if I should trust your words.
— I know, but I'm ready to do whatever it takes for you to be sure. I'm not hoping for you to make a decision what you're going to do about this, but please, don't abandon me without sorting it all out, - I gave him a leaflet of the hotel I was staying in, - You can call me if you still have my number, or just come by, I'm staying in room 402.
— Are you actually pregnant? - he raised his brow.
— She is, - I heard Isla's voice. She closed the door behind her and walked up to us.
— You knew about this? - Damiano faced her.
— I did, that's why she's here now, - she nodded, - I figured it would be best for you to hear it from her, not from me.
Damiano leaned against the wall as Isla's words made his doubts go away. I knew he trusted Isla with his life, so her confirming what I said should have made him believe it. He looked at my belly, then at me and I saw how shocked he was.
— I-I'm sorry, we'll have to talk later, I need to process this, - he walked out slowly. Isla assured me he would come to see me the next morning, so I was free to go back to my hotel. 

I fell into bed as soon as I returned. My mind couldn't process how cruel Isla's plan was. I wished to escape this whole situation, but my hands were tied completely. I felt so guilty remembering his expression when I told him about my "pregnancy". Back when we were together, we talked about having a family and I knew he wanted to be a father, he would be a great one... I immediately thought about the fact that Sky was actually pregnant and the guilt trippled, knowing I'm interfering with their happines. My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. I didn't know what to expect, so I checked myself in the mirror and opened it.
— Great work, - Isla came inside, - He really bought that.
— How do you know? - I sat at the foot of the bed.
— He told others, they went out drinking. That's how they cope with stressful situations, but you know that, - she chuckled, - Anyway, I came here to discuss what we should do next, - she sat beside me and pulled out her notebook. 

After listening to her orchestrate my every move, I took her note and escorted her out. I didn't even want to think that today was actually the easiest part of her plan. I got ready for bed, even though it was a little to early for me. When I came out of the bathroom one thing caught my eye. A piece of paper must have slipped out of Isla's notebook and was lying on the floor. I picked it up to see what was written on it. As soon as I did, my body froze in shock.