Home sweet home

*DAMIANO'S POV*

I stared at the wall, being numb for some time, then I jumped up and opened my laptop to check if what I heard was really true. It took ages to load, so I paced around my room trying to remember which airlines she had to fly with and what the number was, but my effort didn't bring me any luck, so I picked up my phone and called the first number that showed up in my recents. That happened to be Ethan.

— What's up? - he picked up.
— Do you remember which airlines Sky was supposed to fly with from Spain?
— Umm, I think American Airlines, why? - he was infuriatingly calm, even though he couldn't have known what I just heard.
— And the flight number? Do you remember it? - I felt my heart beating out of my chest.
— Oh, I definitely won't remember that. Why do you need all this stuff?
— A fucking plane crashed! - I couldn't control myself.
— What plane? Where? - he didn't seem to be as shocked as I was.
— I heard the news report about 10 minutes ago. American airlines plane crashed into the pacific!
— Well, it doesn't mean she was on that plane, did you call Isla? She should have all the information, - his tone now changed slightly.
— No, I'm a fucking dumbass, you're the first one I'm calling, - I rolled my eyes at my decision making.
— Okay, so call her and update me when you know anything, - Ethan said and hung up. I immediately started dialing Isla. My hands got increasingly more shaky, making it difficult to handle my phone. 

I pressed "call" and impatiently waited, but she didn't pick up. I called again and again in hopes to reach her, but the results were the same. I sat in my balcony to try and calm myself down, because I could be blowing things out of proportion there, but why did I have this bad feeling before then?

*SKY'S POV*

As soon as I turned off the plane mode my phone started buzzing uncontrolably, getting notifications of messages and missed calls. My heart started beating faster as I thought something bad has happened to one of the band members or another scandalous article came out. I didn't get enough time to see what was wrong, because Ethan's name flashed on the screen with the incoming call.
— Hey, Ethan is everything okay? Everyone's alright? - I asked incredibly nervous.
— Ah, - he chuckled a little making me confused, - Hey, bunny, don't worry, everyone's fine exept your man, because he paranoidly watched the news and heard about a plane crash, so now he's going out if his mind. You should call him now and we'll talk later, okay?
— Oh my God, thank you, Ethan, I'll call you back, - I said and immediately called Damiano. 

I got mixed feelings about the situation. On one hand it was hilarious to me, but on the other I felt sad that he had to go through so much stress.
— Sky? - he picked up almost immediately and I could hear how stressed out he was.
— Hey, baby, don't worry, I'm okay, - I rushed to calm him.
— Oh my God, so your plane landed safely? You're not in danger?
— No, Damiano, I'm at the airport, waiting for my baggage. The plane you heard about wasn't mine.
— You have no idea how happy and embarrassed I feel right now, - I could hear he was smiling.
— It's okay, I understand. It's cute you care so much about me, - I smiled too, grabbing my suitcase.
— I didn't tell you this, but... I had a bad feeling since this morning, but I thought it was just separation anxiety. That made me paranoid and when American Airlines plane crashed I just went crazy, I'm sorry.
— You don't have to be sorry, it's okay. Did the bad feeling go away now? - I asked, feeling uneasy.
— I think so, yeah. Okay, I'm so relieved to know you're fine, but now I think your family is waiting for you and you should go to them, we'll text later, - he said, and I felt bittersweet, because I knew I will miss that voice as soon as I end the call.
— Okay, baby, I'll text you when I can, - I replied.
— I love you, bye.
— Love you, - I ended the call with this phrase and it made me realise I haven't said these words to him yet. It made me blush a little. I took a deep breath putting my phone in the pocket and made my way out because I was sure my mom was getting impatient already. 

I wasn't even able to reach the exit door, when my brother jumped on me, hugging me tightly from the back.
— Oh my God, River, you're going to strangle me to death! - I exclaimed, grapping his hand, that was wrapped around my neck.
— I missed you, sis! - he let go of me and took my suitcase.
— I missed you too. Where's mom and dad?
— Mom's at grandma's now and dad had to go to work so it's just you and me for at least an our, - he wiggled his eyebrows, making me laugh. 

We sat in his pick-up truck and I immediately got flashbacks of memories. 
— So, what's new? How's your love life? - he asked me, starting the car.
— Oh, where do I begin, - I chuckled. I knew I could trust him with anything, so I didn't hold back telling everything about my life at the house, my struggles and, of course, Damiano.
— Okay so I should get ready to be famous as well, - he said seriously, cracking himself up afterwards.
— Oh, without any doubt, - I nodded, laughing, - Better tell me, should I be worried?
— Well... - he smiled, knowing exactly what I was talking about, - Yes. Mom's organising a little welcome home party for you and the suitor of this year is... drumroll please... Brandon Loughty!
— She must be joking! - I was mortified, - Brandon from middle school?
— Yep, - River couldn't contain his laughter.
— I'm going to kill her... - I burried my face in my hands.
— Well, knowing you have a secret boyfriend, it sure will be interesting to see it all play out, - he took a turn to stop at "Starbucks".
— The usual? - he looked at me. I nodded in response. 

Seeing my brother made me realise time goes by fast when I'm not here with them. He looked so different since the last time I saw him. Even his favorite flannel couldn't hide the fact he's been working out a lot, as his frame was much more toned and masculine, his hair was longer at the top, letting his natural, hazel curls form. A stubble on his face  intensified his "older brother"' look, even though we were only two years apart. 
— So let me guess, - I took a sip of my lightly sweet chai tea latte, - A "little welcome home party" means... around 30 people?
— I think there could be more. Better write yourself a script of what you're going to tell every single one of them when they ask about your wonderful accomplishments in Italy.
— Oh, I'm sooo looking forward to that! - I said irronically, rolling my eyes, - Why am I always a target and you're not?
— I bring home enough girls for her not to worry, unlike you, miss.
— If I brought home many guys, I think I would be locked up in some nymphomaniac rehab,- I laughed and he almost chocked on his coffee too.

We continued to drive and I looked out the window, seeing all the familiar places. It was heartwarming to be there, but at the same time I missed Italy and it's light architecture, the buildings bathing in the sun, the people, who despite being very stubborn, made me feel at home there. The only thing that made me happy to be back in the US was all the failures I had in Italy. I struggled to come up with a believable success story to tell my parents' friends, because I knew if I only said the truth, it would generate a lot of sorry looks. 

We pulled up in my childhood home driveway and I got out of the car, smiling. It was a little changed, but one thing remained very prominent - my parents loved the nature, as you can guess by the names they gave their children. Their house was surrounded by greenery and it looked like a house straight out of a fairytale. I loved all the intricate bushes, blooming with colorful blossoms each summer. There were a lot of new lanterns among the greenery and I imagined how nice it will look when the sun goes down. I couldn't wait to go inside and unpack my stuff in my room, because that gave me a warm feeling everytime. 

River took my suitcase and unlocked the front door, letting me in. 
— They didn't tell me about the renovations! -  I looked at my brother, once I saw that the living room was a lot more modern than before. It was cozy with a huge sectional couch taking the most of the room. The fireplace was still the same, just the walls around it were painted a light cream color. It was really nice, but I kind of felt sad, because it meant that the living room I grew up in is gone now. I looked around to see if there were any more changes, but the rest of the house seemed to me more or less like when I left it last time. We went upstairs to my bedroom and like everytime, I got anxiety before opening the door. For some reason I always expected to see my room gone and turned into a guest room or something, even though I knew my parents would never do that behind my back. 

I opened the door and immediately gasped.