48. Craziness (New year gift)

This chapter is the present for the new year. It contains exactly 2024 words. (Sorry, I was late. I couldn't give you a new year gift soon. But I think this chapter is the most suitable as the gift.)

Happy new year dear! May this year give you tons of happiness! 🥳

~~~~~~

Heidith flinched and turned around to see his mother stepping towards him wearing a thin nightgown and a thick coat covering it, a hand holding her still flat tummy since she was pregnant for only a month. Her brown curly hair messily fell on her shoulders.

"Mom." He sighed, both frustrated and relieved.

"What are you doing here? It's past midnight. Go back to sleep." He rubbed his forehead as he said. He wanted to talk to her but his conscience didn't let him. A pregnant woman needed sleep more than other people. It was important for the rapid growth of baby in her womb.

"It's fine." Ezra sat next to him on the stone bench. "Come here." She patted her lap, motioning him to put his head on it. Heidith obediently did as she said.

They both became silent after that.

"So what is it?" Ezra became a little impatient and asked, looking down at her son who was busy thinking about something while staring at the starry sky.

"Mom." Heidith rubbed his head against her lap like a kitten. "I don't know what to do."

"What happened, dear? Tell me so that I can help you." Although she was impatient and a little restless, she pretended to be extremely calm on the surface.

Just like that, Heidith found himself telling everything about what happened with the spy and the rumours about King Edwin's illegitimate son.

"You are saying... This Dylan boy is actually the princess?" Ezra questioned as she tried to register the complicated details. "Why did she fake her identity? She can just do her duties as a girl. No need to pretend to be someone else."

Heidith clicked his tongue. "Mom, you can't understand. She's so cunning."

Ezra frowned upon hearing that. "Cunning? Don't you dare disrespect my daughter-in-law."

Heidith let out a helpless sigh. "Mom, I'm not sure whether she likes to become your daughter-in-law in the first place. She dislikes me."

"It's your problem."

"...Mom!!!"

Ezra laughed at his aggrieved look. She caressed his black hair as if to soothe him. "Just kidding. Tell me what's the reason for her to use another identity?"

Heidith thought for a moment. "Mom, lemme ask something first."

"Mmm, go on."

"One day you told me we almost got engaged when I was three and she was a newborn baby. That means you guys planned to set us up from the very beginning. Right?"

"Yeah. It's all your father's doing. He said to King Edwin if the two people were boys, they could fight with eachother and one of them can take the throne of both countries. I mean the most suitable person. But fortunately, his child became a girl. That way, we can easily combine the two countries through marriage."

"Why do we need to combine two countries?" Heidith asked, catching her off guard.

Ezra blinked her eyes. "It's because... Edwina needs our support. That kingdom is less powerful than us and faces many threats from enemies so they need our support to protect their country. Got it?"

"Then what if one day they can stand on their own feet to face enemies? What if their weak girl becomes a warrior? Can't she still challenge me?"

"Why does she need to challenge you? You guys can get married!" Ezra pinched the place between her eyebrows, looking depressed.