68. Moment of truth

Lucas hopped on Sherrie's back when duke Ferdinand came towards him to say goodbye for one last time. Lucas was about to go on a huge mission. The day he would return was uncertain and totally depended on the situation in Kingdom Albrecht. Thus, he knew he wouldn't be able to see Lucas for a long time, maybe at least five months or more. Ferdinand knew he would miss him so much but for his future, he made up his mind to let him go.

"Do you know how you got Sherrie? Haven't you ever doubted me not having a dragon like you do?" Ferdinand truly wondered why he never asked that kind of a question from him before. Didn't he notice it?

"Actually, I thought I got Sherrie because of my capabilities." Lucas stroked Sherrie's neck as he bit his lip. "Now I think about it, is it because I'm also a prince?"

"Yes and no," Ferdinand replied. "Not every prince can gain a dragon. Truly talented princes are capable of getting blessed with a dragon. But, of course, not talent alone can provide a dragon to someone. To get one, you must have royal blood."

"I guess that crown prince doesn't have royal blood since he is a child from another man, right?" Lucas said thoughtfully.

"Indeed, only you have the advantage of owning a dragon."

Ferdinand's words made Lucas adore his Sherrie even more. He patted her head lovingly as she silently let him do whatever he wanted to, not interrupting the duo's conversation, which made Lucas love her further. His Sherrie was the most understandable creature in the world.

"Before going, I want you to meet Ashra. She's the perfect one for this mission. Only she can help you so take her with you." Ferdinand said after a moment of silence.

"Sahasra?" Lucas scratched his chin using his thumb. "No way, father. She hates me. She will never come with me let alone help me. She was thrown out along with her mother because of my carelessness. I still regret it to this day."

"It's not like that," Ferdinand said hesitatingly. He was actually glad to hear Lucas call him father again. If he still treated him as his father, why couldn't he do the same? It was time for him to learn the truth.

Just like that, Ferdinand found himself telling Lucas what happened many years ago.

When he finished, he observed his son, who was abnormally quiet. "Luke," He called out to him, kinda regretting telling him everything.

When Lucas came back to his senses, his eyes filled in tears. When he realized his cousin sister had to go through many things because of him, sadness washed him over, making him deeply regret not searching for her all those years. He understood how selfish he was. Thinking that she was the sign of the betrayal of his father, he hated her before. He thought she wasn't worthy of being his sister. No matter what, she was still his sister half-blood or not. But he never thought of paying attention to her.

Now, he was still her cousin brother. He was still responsible for taking care of her.

What kind of a brother was he? He felt angry at himself. It would be totally understandable if she hated him to death because... He truly deserved it!

Initially, Lucas thought of visiting Zadhea for one last time before going to kingdom Albrecht since it was a country situated far away from both country Edwina and Ashenara academy. He felt bad for not being able to fulfill his duty as her teacher. He could no longer practise with her. He even thought of informing Sir Callisto to train her again because he was her former teacher before he was appointed but it had been many years and Callisto got promoted as a head knight.

He also could no longer train her since he was also busy.

Apart from them, Lucas knew there were only a plenty of knights who could train her since she was so talented than many of them. But he didn't want any other man to get close to her even as a teacher.