75. Heavy heart

"See, it's not a big deal. He's also done so many things for you. You're doing this to repay him," Zadhea chanted to herself before entering inside the infirmary room.

"What are you doing here?" She heard Heidith's hoarse voice which sounded cold and terrifying, making her almost shiver in fear as goosebumps spread over her body. He was never this cold and indifferent towards her hence, she found it suffocating as a spark of restlessness ignited her heart.

With a slightly trembling hand, she pulled a chair towards the bed, sitting beside it as she crossed her ankles, pretending to be nonchalant although she was shaking in fear inside. She wasn't a coward of course. But, for an unknown reason, she felt an unapproachable aura emitting within him. The silent atmosphere was apprehensive as the temperature around them dropped in several degrees.

"Don't overthink. I'm here for a training session as the doctor instructed me." She tried hard not to sound lame as she continued confidently, "I'm attending a nursing class. So the doctor asked me to take care of you. That's wh..."

"Ask him to change the nurse," Heidith said curtly.

Zadhea was taken aback by his icy cold reply. Would she back down though? Hell no!

Why is this guy so difficult? Nevermind. She gave him a professional smile. "Sorry, sir. I'm the only one available right now." So bear with me, idiot!

"That's unfortunate." Heidith let out a heavy sigh, loud enough for her to hear. "Fine, massage my feet then." He moved his toe fingers while saying.

Zadhea blinked her eyes so much that they started hurting. "Excuse me, mister! What did you just say?"

"You are deaf or what? Do as I say." He closed his eyes, not paying attention to her again.

Zadhea mouthed-repeated his words in a mocking demeanour, tapping the four fingers against the tip of her thumb.

Heidith wide-opened his eyes when he felt the softness of her fingers against the arch of his foot. He didn't dare to look at it as he closed his eyes again, feeling her soft touch all over his foot. It was ticklish. Firstly, he smiled lightly and then his smile turned to a grin. Not long after, he burst out laughing.

"Ha ha, stop! Stop it, aha ha!" He continued to titter.

Zadhea couldn't help smiling. She couldn't bear to stop it since she fell in love with his soft suppressed hearty laugh.

He had the adult version of a baby chuckle.

The more she listened, the more she fell for it. Like some soft music, it lightened her heart, letting her get addicted to it.

His laugh, her sweet addiction...

Zadhea sighed in her heart. I wish I could listen to him laughing for the rest of my life...

Since she didn't stop it, ignoring the pain of his back, Heidith sat up straight, grabbing her wrists, pulling them away from his feet. Because of his actions, Zadhea lost her balance and fell on his body.

They both stiffened as two pairs of eyes met.

Under the dim candlelight, they kept looking at each other speechlessly. It was like a competition. No one dared to take the initiative to look away.

Heidith looked at the beautiful blue eyes respectively. He could see the reflection of the yellow candle light through her irises which mesmerized him. So beautiful. He sighed in his heart. Aaah, I wish I could look at her eyes for the rest of my life...

"Mmmh." Zadhea pushed herself upwards, finally breaking their eye contact. Then she returned to her seat, lowering her head to hide her blushing face.

After that, no one spoke as silence embraced them.