Gift

Summary:

Wednesday falls out of a tree and lands in Enid's arms. After realizing that she's accidentally ruined Enid's dress with blood in the aftermath, she undertakes the very confusing task of trying to buy her a new one.

Or, why Wednesday and Eugene are banned from their local clothing store.

Wednesday pulled herself up the tree as quickly as she could, her tired muscles screaming in protest. This was probably a terrible idea. But she didn't have any other ideas in mind. The man in the mask, her newest stalker, perhaps, stood at the base of the tree, knife in hand.

Wednesday climbed higher, a few of the thinner branches creaking underneath her weight. Okay. She had been right. If he tried to climb after her, the branches would snap underneath him, as he seemed to be a hundred or so pounds heavier than her, give or take. Thing gripped onto her shoulder, and she slowly lifted a foot closer to her, extracting two knives from her boot. She was holding onto only one branch while doing so, and she ignored the far too human-like nausea that arose when one was twenty feet off the ground with a man who wanted to kill them waiting below.

She passed one knife to Thing, keeping the other clutched in her own hand and pointing it down in warning. Her abdomen throbbed. The rush of adrenaline she'd received still had yet to wear off, but she was beginning to feel the biting pain of the slash wound the man had managed to give her while she was on the ground.

"You can't stay up there forever!" The man called, Wednesday wrapping an arm around the closest branch and looking down at him, her knife still pointed. She couldn't stay up there forever, obviously. She had only a few hours window before her wound would become a serious problem. But she wasn't concerned about time.

"Three... two... one," she said to herself, watching the doors of Nevermore open as the school officially entered its Saturday morning hours, where the students were allowed to travel freely between Nevermore and Jericho. The man turned around.

He wasn't particularly intelligent, Wednesday had deduced that about a minute into their encounter. He'd attacked her in broad daylight. Perhaps he'd thought she would be easy to finish off.

She was glad to disappoint.

Nobody noticed her in the tree, due to thick leaves blocking her from vision, but the other students did spot and point at the man in front of it. The man with a knife. He ran the second an adult was in view. Coward.

Wednesday shifted her position in the tree and considered the situation she'd just been in. That man likely wasn't the one leaving the messages on her phone. She doubted he had the necessary subtly to stalk her, or anyone, for that matter. Perhaps he was working with the actual stalker. Maybe there was a group of people. That would certainly be more interesting. Or maybe he was an unrelated case.

But he'd specifically targeted her. She had a lot of further research to do.

"He is gone," she said to Thing, watching as a few teachers took off after the man. They wouldn't catch up, he was already too far ahead. She slid the knives back into her boot, gritting her teeth as she put stress on her wound while doing so. She glanced down. The blood seeping from it had already caused her black shirt to become damp. Thankfully, blood was difficult to see through black. All she had to do now was exit the tree and go to her and Enid's room to patch up, then hide for the rest of the day. 

She moved one foot from the branch she was on, testing the space between her and the branch under her. The tip of her boots could touch it. It was moments like these where being just a little bit taller might have come in handy. She wrapped her right arm around the trunk and gripped a branch to her right, then let herself drop, her feet hitting the branch below and sliding slightly.