Thunderstorm

Idk lol just went through my head so I wrote it

Summary:
Wednesday isn't scared of thunder. That's ridiculous. And totally childish. But that doesn't matter to Enid. She'll still hold the little raven tight, no judgment, no questions asked.

Enid woke up in the middle of the night to a thunderstorm which the wolf found strange. She'd never had any issues with sleeping through thunder before. A couple minutes passed and Enid decided to let it go and fall back asleep. Just as she set her head back down on her pillow, though, another boom of thunder crashed outside. With her enhanced hearing, she heard something else right behind the sound. It sounded like a whimper and it almost sounded like it came from Wednesday's side of the room. But that couldn't be right. Wednesday didn't whimper, did she?

Enid sat up and looked over at the dark-haired girl. All she could see was the back of Wednesday's head and she seemed to be curled up in a fetal position. It looked like she was shaking as well.

"Wednesday?" Enid spoke softly, "Are you okay?"

The smaller girl stiffened at the sound of her roommate's voice. "I'm f-fine," Wednesday stuttered, "Go ba-back to sleep, Enid."

Enid couldn't tell if it was her tired brain, but she could've sworn she heard Wednesday stutter and her voice, it sounded so small. "Wednesday, are you scared of-"

"NO!" Wednesday cut the light-haired girl off sharply as her head quickly snapped to look back at Enid.

Once Enid was able to see her face, it was clear in the raven's eyes. Emotions were already rare on Wednesday's face, but fear was one that Enid had only ever seen her wear once. Enid didn't like thinking about that day.

Wednesday obviously quickly realized her mistake and in a split second, she had hidden her face away from Enid.

"Wednesday," Enid said in gentle understanding.

"That's ridiculous, Enid," Wednesday insisted, but it sounded weak, "Why would I ever be scared a stupid sto-"

It was Wednesday's turn to be cut off, this time by another loud boom. Wednesday was once again reduced to whimpers.

"Wednesday, it's okay to be afraid of the thunder."

"I- I'm not scared," Wednesday's voice wavered. It broke Enid's heart to hear her friend sound so vulnerable. It was obvious that Wednesday was terrified. Enid knew exactly what to do though.

"Do you want me to hold you? You can come over and lay next to me?"

Normally, Wednesday would refuse. She'd argue and insist that she didn't need help. She wasn't a toddler, she didn't need someone to cuddle her to sleep. But, any arguments she had died the moment she opened her mouth. She would never be able to admit it, but she was scared.

So instead, Wednesday slowly got out of her bed and saw Enid waiting on the other side of the room, holding up her blankets for the Seer.

Wednesday stepped slowly toward her roommate's bed. Despite her brief conceding to her being afraid, Wednesday still felt apprehensive. The unreasonable concern of Enid tricking her flooded her mind. That Wednesday would get all the way over to her, just for Enid to slam down her blankets and laugh in her face for being so childish.

Wednesday was exactly halfway across the room when another resounding crash of thunder hit and it sent the girl dashing the rest of the way, right into Enid's bed and Wednesday immediately wrapped herself around the wolf as tears pricked her eyes.

"Woah, okay. It's okay, you're safe," Enid whispered softly as Wednesday whimpered incessantly. Enid gently stroked her hair with one hand as her left arm wrapped tightly around the smaller girl. "It's alright. You're safe, my little raven."

They stayed like that for a while, Enid comforting Wednesday with soft reassurances while her fingers threaded through black hair and Wednesday clinging tightly to Enid like a baby koala. It was soft and gentle, something that Wednesday had no idea she craved so much. Wednesday thought to herself that it was probably only Enid whom she desired this type of love and affection from.

Not once has Enid shown any sign of making fun of Wednesday so far. Even though Wednesday's carefully crafted appearance of complete emotional detachment has entirely disappeared, Enid hasn't even mentioned it. All she's done is make Wednesday feel truly and genuinely safe.

Eventually, Wednesday works up the courage to pull her face away from the wolf's chest and look up at her. When she does, Enid swears that Wednesday's face, one of pure vulnerability and trust, is by far the single most adorable and precious thing she has ever seen. It takes everything Enid has not to audibly coo, knowing that it would only make the raven self-conscious. Instead, she smiles warmly. "Hey there little raven, you feeling a little better?"

The thunderstorm outside still roared loudly, but right then, Wednesday couldn't even perceive it. Wrapped up in Enid's arms, Wednesday has never felt safer. She nods gently before planting her face back into Enid's chest. Enid simply lets her and holds the dark-haired girl impossibly closer.

Slowly, Wednesday's breathing evens out and she starts letting out the tiniest, most adorable little snores and once again Enid struggles not to squeal at how impossibly adorable her roommate is.

Enid rests her chin on the top of Wednesday's head and closes her eyes. With the small raven in her arms, Enid sleeps better than ever before.