After All These Years

Summary:
Wednesday disappears after graduation, leaving behind a heartbroken Enid. It wasn't until she read Wednesday's autobiography 5 years later that Enid discovered the real reason for her departure.

"Holy fucking shit, E!" Yoko shouted as she pushed her way into the apartment, her hand tightly clenched around a black leather book.

Enid bolted off the couch, fear sending her soaring a few feet, her heart beating furiously.

"Yoko, I swear to God."

"No! Look!" Yoko broke in, holding the random book up to Enid.

"Yoko, you know I don't read—"

"Unless it's WLW romance, blah blah, I know!" Yoko dramatically waved the book around. "But this is important!"

She paused the game and put away her pink Nintendo Switch. She couldn't believe Yoko would disturb her Animal Crossing hour on her day off from work. She had just gotten Cookie to successfully move onto her island.

In one swift motion, Enid snatched the book from her hand and ran her thumb across the smooth texture of the cover as she examined it.

'Wednesday Addams: An Autobiography' the title read.

Enid's eyes widened in disbelief as her mouth parted slightly. She quickly returned to the sofa, needing to take a seat for whatever she was about to read.

She hadn't heard from Wednesday in years. Once they graduated, the girl disappeared until a few years later, Enid heard a whisper of her name on the lips of people who had read her book series.

The eldest Addams child achieved massive success as a best-selling author.

Desperate to find Wednesday after school had ended, Enid even went as far as to try to get in touch with Morticia Addams. But even she didn't know her daughter's location. According to her, Wednesday wanted it that way.

Enid was absolutely heartbroken after hearing that. Did Wednesday not care about her? Was the pain they had endured together now just a distant memory? Did she feel nothing when she thought of all the times they shared together? She thought Wednesday changed, but her leaving right after graduation proved otherwise.

Enid had been left with an immense sense of loss ever since Wednesday Addams had crushed her heart. She was overwhelmed with grief, though the person she was mourning wasn't even dead.

"I never would've thought in a million years that Wednesday Addams would write an autobiography, but here we are!" Yoko's hands moved in a flurry as she spoke.

Enid was hypnotized by the spine-tingling artwork on the book, her hands trembling as she held it. The cover of the book was just so... Wednesday.

She was so spellbound that she hadn't noticed that Yoko was still speaking.

"Enid!" Yoko shouted, her voice ringing out and her fingers snapping in front of the wolf's face, demanding her attention.

Enid glanced up with a sheepish expression on her face. "Sorry! I was... thinking."

"Yeah, I figured that much. You haven't even gotten to the juicy stuff yet!" Yoko flashed a knowing smirk.

Her best friend knew how much Wednesday meant to her. After graduation, Yoko was finally able to make Enid recognize her feelings by walking her through the entire journey Enid had with Wednesday ever since she first encountered the girl. Let's just say it was a very long talk.

The wolf was oblivious to her feelings until Wednesday had already left, only realizing the truth when it was too late.

She constantly thought of Wednesday, a sadness settling in her chest at the fact she was unable to find her. Soon after, the sadness that had been weighing her down was replaced by an increasing fury. Wednesday had vanished, yet she still saw her face in her dreams every day since.