Where there are wolves, ravens will follow

Summary:
Wednesday has a panic attack after a vision leads to her getting injured

One moment Wednesday is sitting in class, doodling her favorite medieval torturing devices in her notebook, and the next her head is tossed back violently and she is in some dark, old house. It's all blood and gore, the vision, and while those are among her favorite things she greatly dislikes the loss of control. The powerlessness. Her body jolting while she has seemingly left it, the vision overtaking her mind.

She is falling when she comes back into awareness, and her head hits something, and a second later she is on the floor.

Grunting in pain she attempts to sit up, failing as her vision swims. The classroom is in chaos around her, the frantic voices burning her overwhelmed brain. Someone suddenly touches her, and she lashes out in fright, a growl rising from her throat.

Enid stumbles back from her, Yoko and Bianca peering out from behind her. The world around Wednesday is dazed, like she is experiencing reality through a thick cloth. Her classmates and the teacher are trying to talk to her, crowding her, and suddenly she doesn't care, she just needs to get out.

"Jeez, you're bleeding", she hears Ajax say, and she brings her hand to the throbbing point in the back of her head.
She brings the hand back in front of her eyes, and sure enough her fingers are bloody. Usually she would have loved that, but this time her head only spins at the sight. Maybe because the blood is her own.
"You should go see the nurse", someone says, and someone else grabs her arm.
Wednesday grits her teeth, trying to find her voice again to tell Enid to stop whimpering like a defenseless little puppy, that it's just a wound, but she finds she doesn't really believe that herself. She looks down at the blood on her fingers, and she sees the blood from the vision, feels just as powerless, and breathing is suddenly getting difficult.

She flees, turning and running.

As the nurse stitches her up, Wednesday sits silently on the gurney, tapping a finger against the gurney and doing everything to just focus on her breathing.

"Your teacher said you had another vision", the nurse states, calmly.
"Snitch", Wednesday grumbles through gritted teeth.
"Should we call dr Kinbott?" the nurse offers.
"It would be impressive for you to make a phone call after I cut your tongue out", Wednesday deadpans.
She doesn't need a therapist. She needs Enid, but it's not like she's gonna tell anyone that. Especially not after snapping at her beloved like that. What would her mother have said to that? She doesn't even wanna think about that.

She leaves the second the nurse finishes wrapping her head in bandage, stomping out the nurse's office and slamming the door shut to make a point. A frantic tapping against the floor has her turning around, glaring at Thing as he signs Enid's name at her. She shakes her head at him, violently.
"Don't be dumb. She does not need to see me in this state", she hisses.
"She loves you", he signs.
Shuddering in anger, Wednesday stomps her foot down near him. He scurries off down the hallway, and she struggles to keep breathing normally, her chest burning.

She makes it around a corner before her body gives up and she collapses, ending up with her back against the wall.

Pulling her legs up she wraps her arms around them, hugging her knees as tightly as she possibly can, tight enough to make the muscles in her arms strain and make her legs hurt. She would have done it harder, had it been physically possible, the pressure bordering on pain grounding.

Don't cry, she scolds herself harshly.

No, Enid does not need to see her like this. Fuck, Goody was right, she is destined to be alone. Who would ever wanna be with someone who is such a miserable train wreck? Quickly wiping her eyes, Wednesday suddenly notices how bad she is trembling, lifting her hands to her hair and burying her nails in her scalp, desperate to regain control of herself and her emotions.

She has closed her eyes tightly, and at first she actually thinks she is imagining Enid calling her name. The werewolf couldn't possibly have gone to find her after that entire shit show.
"Wednesday! Hey, hey- You are okay", Enid is telling her as she falls to her knees in front of her, Wednesday lifting her gaze to face her concerned girlfriend.

Enid makes no attempt to touch her, doesn't display any sign of judgment. She remains gentle, the type of gentle only Enid can be, The type of gentle that reaches all the way into Wednesday's black heart with its rays of sunshine.
"Deep breaths. Yes, just like that. Just like that. You're okay. You're safe."
It does get easier to breathe when she has Enid guiding her through it, the tension in her chest melting away bit by bit. Enid keeps talking, and Wednesday wishes her voice would take liquid form so she could completely drown in it.

Another moment later Enid asks if she can hold her hands, and Wednesday hesitates just slightly before nodding, slowly lowering her hands so Enid can take them. Enid does, still so impossibly gently, holding her hands and caressing her knuckles. Wednesday suddenly realizes she hasn't spoken since Enid found her there on the floor. She hasn't needed to, Enid seems to understand what she needs without spoken words. That's just how close they are, how well they know each other.

"Do you think you can stand?" Enid asks.
Thinking about this briefly, Wednesday nods a yes, and Enid carefully guides her to her feet, Wednesday holding onto her arm.
"Let's go back to our room, yeah?" Enid suggests.

They hold onto each other all the way to Ophelia Hall, Enid growling and showing her claws to anyone who tries to bother them in any way. Wednesday still doesn't feel like speaking as they get into their dorm, silently letting her gaze sweep over the room.

Thing comes trotting over to Wednesday, his fingertips tapping against the floorboards.
"I am fine", Wednesday says in reply to his signed question.
"You are not fine, and that is fine!" Enid interrupts.
Wednesday turns to her.
"You had a vision, and then I think you had a panic attack. You need help. Let me do that for you", Enid continues, her voice almost pleading.
Wednesday keeps staring at her. Thing taps against the floor, frantically. Wednesday's gaze flickers down to the floor, her eyes once again shining with tears, her eyes meeting Enid's after another moment.
"I- I-"
Taking a breath, she tries again.
"I did- Was- I feel a bit- scared- and I think it would help with a, you know... Acuddleorwhatever", she manages, blurting the words out.

Somehow, Enid softens even more.
"Thank you. I'm proud of you for sharing your emotions", she says kindly.
"You're my girlfriend, not my therapist. I already have one of those", Wednesday grumbles.
Enid nods.
"I'm sorry. Of course we can cuddle", she says, and they share a quick kiss before moving towards Wednesday's bed.

It's somewhat awkward as they lay down together, Wednesday more or less draping herself across Enid's chest, her head right over the werewolf's heart. Enid is all warm and soft, and not the type of warm and soft you want to cut her open, but a new kind that makes Wednesday find her presence nice and comforting. She wants to be close to Enid rather than far away from her, something that she found almost distressing when she first came to Nevermore. Now the two are girlfriends, happier than ever, and Wednesday has dared to hope that maybe the path of the Raven doesn't have to be one of solitude.

She still finds her sudden need for the werewolf's companionship overwhelming, and these thoughts send tears down her face again. Crap, has she gone completely soft!? Tears have never solved anything!

Enid has been stroking her hand up and down one of her braids, but now the movement stops.
"Wednesday? What's wrong, my heart? What is it?"
"I- Just- I'm a Raven. I must do my journey, whatever it may be, on my own. I have told you this, Enid", Wednesday says.
Enid kisses her head, a light brush of her lips against the black hair.
"And I'm a wolf, and like you told me, where there are wolves, ravens will follow", she whispers.
It had been a fun piece of trivia, nothing more, but hearing this information as a symbol in the context of her and Enid has a storm of emotions welling up inside her.

"I love you", Wednesday whispers, because it's all she can say to that.
Enid's breath hitches, and her eyes fill up with tears as well. Wednesday never, ever thought she would say those words completely unironically, but then she met Enid Sinclair.
"I love you, too. My Raven."