a rather loose definition of allergies

Goddamnit Leighton coming out to Kimberly in slocg always breaks me i'm literally sobbing rn :,(

Summary:
Wednesday and Enid have a conversation about her alleged colour allergy (which was exaggerated and misrepresented but not entirely made up).

"Hey Wednesday?"

Enid broke the comfortable silence in their room after what might have been hours spent together on Wednesday's surprisingly comfortable bed. It wasn't unusual for them to spend their time like this, close together but each still busy doing their own things, and it was also rather common for Enid to break the silence with whatever random thought had just entered her mind. Wednesday always humoured her, no matter how engrossed she was in her book. Enid was always more important, even if it was just a comment on one of her favourite bands or something like that.

"Yes?"

Wednesday kept her eyes on the book she was holding with one hand so the other could stay tangled with Enid's but she had stopped actually reading as soon as Enid started talking and was now not even pretending any more. The only reason she hadn't looked up yet was because she wanted to figure out if this was about something important before she put her book down completely. That changed as soon as Enid answered with her own question.

"How can you stand to be around me?"

Enid sounded scared and wouldn't look at Wednesday no matter how hard the other girl tried to get her attention. When she realized that it wouldn't work, not even when she reached out to tip her head up, she sighed. This was worse than she had thought and she hated herself for not noticing that something was bothering Enid earlier. More than that, though, she was confused.

She must have missed a lot if Enid thought she didn't like her. Didn't she know that, if it were up to her, Wednesday would never leave her side? She always longed to be closer to her girlfriend, even when they were already pressed together like they were now. But it seemed like Enid somehow didn't know that, something she needed to rectify as soon and as thoroughly as she possibly could. She wasn't sure how, though, so she started with simply trying to understand why Enid could possibly think Wednesday didn't want her.

"What are you talking about? There is nothing I enjoy more than being in your
company."

It was the truest thing she had ever said and she couldn't keep some emotion out of her voice, but Enid still looked sceptical and refused to raise her eyes higher than their hands. She was fidgeting again as well but that didn't tell Wednesday what exactly was wrong, either.

"Yes, but what about your colour allergy? Aren't my clothes melting your skin off or whatever?"

It took a while for Enid to reply but when she did, Wednesday almost smiled. She should have guessed this was what this was all about but she had nearly forgotten about that particular conversation until Enid brought it up. Apparently, the same could not be said about her girlfriend and, just for a moment, Wednesday felt a twinge of guilt. She must have been worried all this time and Wednesday hadn't even noticed.

But now that she knew, she wouldn't let this go on any longer. Hopefully then Enid would go back to looking at her and holding her the way she usually did. The distance, however small, was getting uncomfortable and Wednesday longed to close it any way she could. Before she could do that, though, she needed to reassure her girlfriend.

"I should have clarified this earlier: I am not as such allergic to colour."

Sadly, this did not have the intended effect. In fact, it actually made Enid pull away further, her brow furrowing and her eyes burning with an anger she rarely showed. She was staring at Wednesday now and she was beautiful, even with the frown taking over her face. Wednesday couldn't tell if she was angry or confused, maybe a combination of both, but either way, Wednesday knew it wasn't good.