Wenclair Christmas pt1

Summary:
A Christmas mystery can either bring people together or tear them apart...
(Btw there's 5 parts to this)

When Wednesday finishes class, she mostly goes either straight to Ophelia Hall or off school grounds for 'research'. After the uncovering of Tyler being the hyde and Ms Thornhills betrayal, Wednesday still feels on edge that there's plenty more to discover. However, on this particular day, she decides solitude is what she needs. Well, solitude plus Enid.

Except, when she gets to their room, Enid is nowhere to be seen. Ignoring the disappointment Wednesday would deny she's feeling, she moves to her typewriter to work on her novel. Recently, her novel has delved away from the mystery stuff and has taken a side-plot where Viper is fighting for Princess Delilah's hand in marriage. There's gorey battles to the death, constant fear and untrustworthy competitors lurking to sabotage Viper. Wednesday must admit it's rather riveting.

Viper thrusts forwards, the hilt of her sword burying deep into the belly of her rival. She's another step closer to winning over the Princess with every enemy she destroys. Wednesday pauses, feeling her own hand travel to where she'd been stabbed. There's little there to show for it, barely even a scar, which Wednesday finds disappointing. And yet, she thinks about it more often than not. The knife sliced through, digging so sharp and deep. The pain had been excruciating when the knife had then twisted, the tearing of her flesh and gushing of her blood foreign to her ears. She shivers. Not nearly as pleasant as she thought it'd be.

With a sigh, Wednesday glances around the quiet room. Enid still isn't back. Why does that disturb her? She's probably with Ajax, but the thought doesn't quell Wednesday's worries. Instead, it unleashes a venomous taste to her mouth.

Suddenly, the door bursts open. It's Enid, bouncing through the room and to her bed. She drops to the floor, scrambling for something under her bed. She doesn't even seem to notice Wednesday until she resurfaces, holding up a large box.

"Oh, Wednesday!" She exclaims, standing up, the box in her arms. She's wearing the brightest smile, "You should come to the common room, we're setting up the Christmas decorations!"

"Christmas decoration?" Wednesday questions, eying the box with disdain.

"Yeah, for Christmas ," Enid replies as if it's obvious, "Surely even your gloomy soul has heard of Christmas?"

"Yes, I know what Christmas is," Wednesday retorts, turning back to her typewriter with finality, "Its a stupid celebration with the same intention as any other: for businesses to make themed items and a profit off the pathetic people who buy them."

She hears Enid scoff as she leaves the room, " Or it's a time for people to be together and show gratitude through giving gifts."

Then, she's gone and so is part of Wednesday's heart.

***

Wednesday leaves her room to get dinner in the dining hall. It's oddly empty tonight, no one sitting down to eat. Everyone seems to be grabbing their plates and running off to eat elsewhere. Wednesday doesn't blame them, she eats almost every meal in Ophelia hall.

She's carrying her plate of food back to her room when she passes the common room. The door is ajar so it's not her fault when she pauses briefly to peek through. Sure enough, a pine tree is sitting in the center of the room. Mess covers the floor: broken pine needles, baubles that have rolled away, tangled lights and also bowls of chips and marshmallows.