Blood of the Covenant

Summary:
Graduation should be a time of joy, a recognition of achievement, a celebration. And for nearly every one of Enid's classmates, it had been. Which was precisely why her family's timing felt like a particularly cruel joke.

Jesus christ i almost started crying while writing this

Two and a half years wasn't all that much time in the grand view of a lifetime, but for a teenager, two and half years was forever. Two and a half years as an outcast teen attending Nevermore was forever and a bit. So much had happened in those years. Some of it good. Some of it bad. A lot of it just weird. She had lived with Wednesday throughout that time after all - weird could only be expected.

Two and a half years, capped off with the few days that buffered the end of term and graduation, a time of celebration and reflection, the entire senior class camping out by the lake unsupervised - a Nevermore tradition. She'd taken her place amongst the festivities, had let the fresh nostalgia wash over her, had considered how much she had accomplished and grown over the course of her high school career. All her friends together one last time before they all donned cap and gown and disappeared into the world to live their own separate lives. She'd had but a few days of this joy. And then everything came crashing in around her.

It hadn't come as much of a surprise, except that it had. Eighteen years of living under the shadow of a very unforgiving Sinclair pack. Eighteen years of hints lacking any form of subtlety. Eighteen years of disappointment concealed only by overtly expressed resentment. She should have had an itinerary drawn up, pamphlets printed, a powerpoint deck at the ready. But after eighteen years of every imaginable chance to prepare herself for what had always been inevitable, she had been caught completely unaware. Her mother and father, barely a breath after a half-hearted 'congratulations, Enid', had unceremoniously dropped the news that they had fulfilled their parental obligations. Enid was on her own. They would be returning as a family to California and Enid was welcome to go wherever she set her sights on - except back to the family home - because she no longer was welcome there. She was no longer part of the family. The pack. They'd checked every box they felt they were legally required to check and now it was time to wash their hands of it all and get on with their lives without her weighing them down.

The pride and revelry of graduation now sat forever tainted with the swift and unemotional severance of her place in what had been her family.

A lot had happened in the last few years.

A lot had happened in the last few minutes.

It had been Thing who found her standing numbly in what would tomorrow cease to be her and Wednesday's shared dorm room. By mid-morning, less than 24 hours from now, she'd be expected to vacate the space and go... somewhere. Except now there was no 'somewhere' to go. And Thing, he'd really tried, to pull it from her, some sort of explanation, but an emotionally prompted 'fight or flight' had settled firmly into the oft forgotten 'freeze' and Thing had left without a single clue as to why Enid had ceased functioning.

In the nearly three years since Wednesday Addams had crashed into her life, indifferent and emotionally underdeveloped without a single fuck to give, Enid had the pleasure to watch her evolve. It turned out none of those initial assumptions had been fair, but regardless, Wednesday had changed. She had slowly accepted her place as a friend, as someone worth investment, and had decided that she had more to offer than serving as a reminder of other's ineptitudes. She had learned (some) patience, had stopped self-segregating - no longer seeking solitude (in totality), had begrudgingly accepted unprompted help and eventually welcomed it (from some). And to a select few, of which Enid stood paramount, she had learned to be honest. Not the harsh and unflinching honesty she had always employed - the kind that left people hurt and put off - though she certainly still had her moments. No she had learned to be honest about herself. About her weaknesses, her needs, her desires, her love.