Chapter 2: Sweet but psycho

Quentin

Devil's spawn. Evil. Psychopath.

That's just the names my brother uses to address me. Other people usually are not so bold when they're standing in my presence.

When I was younger, my middle school teacher once told my dad that the competition he had instilled between me and my brother wasn't good for my mental health.

I was still in my formative years and being told my own twin brother was my opponent wasn't good for the formation of my character.

My dad obviously didn't pay any attention to that advice. In his mind, the competition was good for us to develop the killer instinct he thinks all Alphas must possess.

Well, be careful what you wish for, daddy.

It's kind of a funny story. When we were younger, my brother and I were inseparable. We did everything together, from playing games to sleeping in the same room.

We were each other's best friend growing up. But at some point, the "truth" was revealed to us that we were the twin sons of Geoffrey Atwood, Alpha of the Ruckerford Falls pack.

Unfortunately, only one of us can succeed my father as the next Alpha, so he told us we'd have to compete for it.

At some point after we turn 18, my brother and I will have to fight before the entire pack. And to the victor goes the spoils. Meaning he becomes the next Alpha of the largest werewolf pack in the country.

And yes, I want it. Badly I might add. I am Alpha. I was born for this. My brother can suck it because I'm going to win.

My name is Quentin Atwood, I'm 17 years old and am going into my senior year of high school next Fall.

I live my life with a commanding presence and authority. Students fear me, teachers avoid me whenever they can and girls...

Well, who doesn't love a bad boy?

Who doesn't want a man who knows how to take charge? Because I do. I make sure people call me Alpha just so they can get ready for MY ascension ceremony.

At school, I rule with an iron fist. Respected by everyone, I crush those who oppose me. No one stands in my way. Not if they know what's good for them.

In some ways, it's like I'm already campaigning for Alpha, even though we don't vote for it.

Sadly, my brother doesn't exactly put up a good fight. It seems that as I got more competitive growing up, he got less.

I think he lost the taste for it. Or he never had it in the first place. There's nothing wrong with being a follower instead of a leader. We need these people.

But I think he never recovered from losing our brotherhood bond. We grew so far apart that nowadays we look more like acquaintances than brothers. Even if we still share the same appearance.

Some things we can't escape.

And though my father is not giving up on our fight, my brother on the other hand seems to gladly forfeit the match on my behalf.

Some people really don't develop the killer instinct.

I once choked a boy for so long, he was this close to dying suffocated. Trust me, I got it.

It's August, the last days of summer. Time to enjoy our freedom before school starts over again.

Though freedom seems like a loose concept for the son of an Alpha. Not only does my dad force both my brother and I to train with warriors, he also makes sure we learn something about pack leadership.