Chapter 29: Landslide

Jude

I am a hero.

Not that I consider myself that, but wherever I go people thank me for getting the school to reconsider the homecoming dance.

In reality, I didn't. I talked to my parents about it and they did all the work.

I hate to say it but Quentin was right. As soon as I told my mom I never had a proper date to the homecoming dance, she put on her P-FLAG bottom and went to battle for me.

She didn't rest until she succeeded in talking to the entire school board. And the rest is celebratory hugs and handshakes.

Truth is I was very disappointed by not taking Beck as my date to the homecoming dance. I didn't lie to my mom, I really was devastated.

Milestones mean something for us queers. It means a lot to young people no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity, but to us is an opportunity to do something we never did before.

And I'm not just talking about myself here.

Neither of Owen's parents had dates to their high school dances. They only got mated after graduation because Mr. Lancaster was already in college by the time Mr. Hathaway came of age.

Now I'm not mated either, so the fact that I have a boyfriend is something to be celebrated, in my humble opinion. And I do plan to.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up the fact that Jalensky has been hitting my DMs like crazy lately.

Somehow he thinks I'm just like him in the sense that despite the fact that I have a boyfriend, I'd still hook up with him on the side.

Though to be fair, he never had a girlfriend. Just semi official flings. But that's not me.

I got with him because I had no better option. I had no one to call my own. And I was fine with whatever crumbs he gave me, but that's not my reality anymore.

No, sir. I have a boyfriend now and no plans of cheating on him. Fuck no! I'm not a cheater. I'm more of a wishing one day to celebrate our 20 years anniversary kind of guy.

My parents posted pictures of their celebration on the pack Instagram account. There was a shower of 'happy birthdays' for dad in the comments.

Anyway, it's not like Jalensky is lonely. Rachel practically lives sitting on his lap like she's marking her territory. Not even Cassie behaves like that with my brother.

I'm happy by Beck's side and I want to stay that way. Even if we don't have sex. Though we're not that far in our relationship and I'm not rushing anything with him.

That's not what this is about. Though if he wants to, I'm not gonna say no. I mean... have you seen him?

"You're my hero!" - Lay melted inside the classroom, joining the chorus of people thanking me.

"I'm not, I just did what I could to help out. My mom did all the work. She's MY hero." - I said, humbly.

"I do love your mom." - She agreed, smiling at the thought. - "Whoever gets mated to you is gonna have giant shoes to fill as our next Luna." - She said in admiration. I grinned at her.

"Lunas can only be females." - Quentin interjected, dismissively.

"Really? You were doing so well lately. Luna is a position. It doesn't have any gender attached to it. In fact, gender is a construct, you imbecile!" - Lay defended me fiercely.

"This pack never had a male Luna before!" - He retorted, getting me more aggravated. And so is she.

"No Alpha ever had twins before! Shit happens! What I do know is this. If you go into the Alpha challenge thinking you got this just because your opponent is gay, you're setting yourself up to fail!" - She snapped at him, angrily.