Chapter 40: If We Were

Jude

I'm lost.

My parents are completely wrecked about this. Dad is racking his brain trying to understand how the hell could the both of us NOT get mated.

If this was about me and the lack of an omega pair, maybe he or she would have understood. Though we are the largest werewolf pack in the country, who knows the measure by which she goes?

But my brother doesn't have half a dozen possible pairs, he has hundreds. Even if I could not be paired, why wouldn't he be?

I'm not saying I shouldn't have been mated, I don't have an inferiority complex by any means. I'm simply playing the numbers here.

There are many more possibilities for him than for me. And this is what really boggles my mind. How in the world is nobody good enough for him?

I'm just saying... Elaine Ashmore. She's right there for the taking. Cassie, Rachel, or literally fifty other girls. I highly doubt Quentin is that choosy.

I'm lost here.

My dad knows it's not the end of the world. We are not the first people to miss out on getting mated in high school, though it's still very possible. It's only October.

Dad is already talking about sending us on mating trips, which neither of us want to go. Travel around the state to much smaller packs than ours to be paraded around in the slim hopes of getting mated.

I don't wanna go. At all.

But that's probably not going to happen until next summer, that's when mating season happens. These kinds of trips are actually pretty standard and many packs do them among allies, exchanging their unmated folks.

It's another Wednesday morning and the two of us are walking downstairs for breakfast. Neither of us are in good spirits, but there's no other choice. School waits for no one.

"Man, this is terrible. But if you got mated and not me, I'd never hear the end of it. At least, we can relate to each other." - I commented, glancing over at my brother.

"If you got mated instead of me, I'd feel even worse." - He admitted, vulnerably.

"I'm sure. At least we're miserable together." - I said, feeling bad. I'm down, sure. But it could be a lot worse if I was alone.

We mope our way to the kitchen and sit down for breakfast. Dad took a look at us and frowned.

"It's not the end of the world, boys. Come on! At least you both have partners. I'm sure you're getting mated in no time." - He encouraged us, feeling sorry for his boys.

"I don't want to be mated to any junior." - I grunted, annoyed at the notion.

"Neither do I." - Quentin agreed in a sour tone.

"Unfortunately, you don't get to pick your mate. But I would petition the Goddess in your favor, if I could." - He said, humorously.

"Hey, at least you got a car out of it." - Mom tried to cheer me on, as she placed the hot food on the table. Quentin grunted in annoyance.

"I would happily trade it off for a mate. In the blink of an eye." - I told her without missing a beat.

We ate our delicious breakfast prepared by our wonderful mom and prepared ourselves for school.

This is our reality now and we can't escape it. It's not like I'm unhappy to still have Beck by my side. Not at all, but as much as I love him, I really thought I'd have a mate by now.

I have no other way of viewing the world. I have been prepared practically from birth that at the age of 18, my partner would be revealed to me.

And I know my brother feels the same, no matter how much he loves Cassie.