Chapter 56: Leave Your Lover

Jude

It's not looking good.

No, I'm not talking about my brother. He was discharged from the hospital on Saturday and is already resting in his room, recuperating during the Thanksgiving (week) break from school that barely started.

I'm actually talking about my mate. Well, ours.

Beck was already suffering from mate abstinence, now that his second pair has sustained a life threatening disease - if we can call it that - things have taken a turn.

Not only has he spent almost every waking hour by Quentin's side at the hospital, he is now cuddled up with him inside our house.

Yes, really. My parents are not gonna turn away his (our) mate from coming into the residence. My mom just invited Beck and his mother to join us for Thanksgiving dinner for the sole purpose of bringing us all closer.

It was already a battle for him to leave Quentin's hospital room on Friday. On Saturday, he went there alone right after breakfast and stayed with him until he was discharged.

He accompanied my parents in taking their son back home and has stayed by his side since then.

Now it's Sunday and I'm already starting to get withdrawal syndrome. I know, right? My mate is a mere few feet away from me and I'm missing him like crazy.

What's up with that?

My brother is not convalescent. He 's fine now. Come back to me, please. I need you by my side.

No, I will not enter my brother's bedroom like some jealous freak. This isn't going to happen. Plus, it'd be weird to see the two of them together.

I know Beck is only keeping him company. They're not there having sex or anything like that, though that would be kind of a stretch from someone recuperating from an emergency surgery.

I called Layla to keep her up to date on the situation since we had left school in a hurry on Friday. I've been getting texts from other classmates as well and have been keeping them apprised of my brother's health condition.

I'm sure Quentin's phone has blown up with worried calls and texts from his teammates. Jalensky will probably stop by our house later this week.

At this point, our history together is ancient now that both of us are mated.

My parents and I gather around in the kitchen for lunch. It's the only time Beck leaves the room because it's also the only time my brother joins us.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?" - Mom asked her second son as we started to serve ourselves some hot delicious food.

"I'm better than yesterday, mom. For sure." - He replied with a weak smile. Beck looks at him with worry in his eyes.

"I'm very confident you'll be up and about in no time, brother." - I told him, masking my resentment behind well wishes.

Quentin faked a smile at my words while my parents cheered him up. Beck was attentive to my brother's needs as if he were an invalid and he was milking it for all its worth.

At the end of lunch, I helped my mom with the dishes while my dad cleared the table. Beck politely offered to help too, but we declined it.

"Are you sure you don't need to return to your house, mate? I don't wanna impose on you if your mom needs you." - My brother inquired, faking consideration.

"Positive, mate. I'm on break from school and my mother knows what you went through. By your side is where I need to be." - He reassured him, instantly putting a smile on his face while I grunted in annoyance.