Chapter 33: Last Dance

Beck

I'm ready.

I'm showered and dressed to impress. I'm fully prepared for my prince to pick me up so we can dance the night away.

Our very first high school event with a date. I know people wait for their mates for 18 years - sometimes 17, if you're lucky - and when they meet them, it feels like a magical moment. Or so I'm told.

But before I get to that, this is as magical for me as it is gonna get without someone's eyes shining. Not mine because they don't. *grunts in annoyance*

Aside from the triggering topic, I feel like I waited a lifetime for a moment like this. This is what I always wanted to do, what I always aspired for but thought was only possible for me if I was mated.

I know it's just a silly high school dance. But to me it's so much more than that. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

There's a movie called 'Everybody's talking about Jamie' in which the main character dreams of becoming a drag queen. Except he lives in a small town in England and faces a lot of backlash because of it. And the fact that he's gay.

His father refuses to acknowledge his existence - relatable, right? - because he doesn't relate to the boy in anything.

At the end of the movie, there's a sequence in which he's barred from attending his senior prom because he wanted to do so wearing a dress. This story actually happened and the documentary about it inspired a [successful] play that based the film.

My point with all of this is: though we live in modern times and it's not like I want to go to the dance in a dress - not that there's anything wrong with that - I can't stress this enough...

It is a huge deal that I'm going with a boy. I don't mean to say I'm breaking boundaries, but I genuinely thought this wouldn't happen for me before mated.

It sounds silly to say this when we have marriage equality, but it isn't. Some girls aren't allowed to enter a bathroom here in Texas. Yes, I'm being serious. And not just here.

Anyway, I'm ready for it.

Jude parks his car in front of the pack house and gracefully enters the manner looking like the most beautiful boy in the world.

He's wearing a dazzling suit with a matching pink tie. Honestly, it took my breath away the moment I laid eyes on him.

Fortunately, the same happened for him when he saw me. The widest smile graced his gorgeous mouth from the moment he glanced at me.

It's refreshing to feel something for someone who actually reciprocates it. But he does look mesmerizing. He's already handsome to begin with, but in formal wear... *sighs*

My mom was enchanted by seeing us together and she did the 'mom thing' taking a bunch of pictures of us side by side. The hot looking couple, if I may say so myself.

After she embarrassed me enough in front of my date, we left in his car. As soon as we climbed onboard, Jude made sure to kiss me.

He said he needed to greet me properly now that we were alone. I'm certainly not opposed to that.

The school was beautifully decorated with the theme "Save the Last Dance", famous star crossed lovers throughout the time.

We walked in to take our official picture for the yearbook and immediately saw the familiar faces spread all over the ballroom.

Layla looked absolutely breathtaking in a fantastic red dress, hair in a beautiful updo, a dazzling necklace adorning her neck and a dapper young man by her side. They do look good, my Goddess...