Chapter 9: Advice For The Young At Heart

Beck

It's like I can finally breathe again.

I've only been here for a few days now but it seems as though life had another meaning to me.

I don't mean to sound so dramatic, but without the pressure my father had been putting on me, I get to be a teenager again. I don't have training or people biting me. In fact, my wounds have completely healed.

Now I'm just a simple boy getting ready to start his senior year in high school just like the other hundreds of students who live here. The largest wolf pack in America.

It's daunting to think about it or to compare it to the reservation I came from. From hundreds to thousands. That's a lot of werewolves.

My mother is actively seeking new employment just as she said and fortunately there's been a few interviews so far. Fingers crossed she gets a job soon. I understand she probably didn't come here with much money.

But with each coming day, I'm more thankful that she brought me here. The pack house food is amazing, the other residents - all adults - are cordial and Mrs. Ashmore is enchanting.

She makes sure we are well looked after and is available for any doubts we might have, though the brochure with the house rules was already pretty self explanatory.

No guests allowed inside your room except for your mate. No parties. No eating outside of the schedule. No entering the offices located inside the pack house - unless you're invited to. No loud noise in the common areas.

It's a little strict but I get it. It has to serve the common good. And it's gonna have to do it until my mom can afford a house of our own. And that might still take a while.

Not that I'm in any rush to leave. Despite the rules, I'm loving it here. So far, so good.

Yesterday, Alpha Atwood called my mom and I to his office to officially welcome us into his pack. He was very intrigued to learn that I can't shift into a wolf, even though both my parents are werewolves.

Our kind is forbidden to share the secret of our existence with humans - outside the sanctity of the mate bond - and he was puzzled that I didn't give off a human-like scent.

My mother was quick to inform him that I was already brought before our tribe healers, who said I had a wolf spirit but somehow that didn't translate into shifting. No one knows why.

He was also concerned about the abuse I have suffered at the hands of my own father, but he refrained from talking too much about the sensitive issue in front of me.

He just assured me that he would do everything in his power to keep me safe, keep us safe and I really appreciated that.

Afterwards, everything was business as usual. I also discovered that I have a second cousin. When my mom took us to her cousin's house, I was introduced to her family.

Her mate is a powerful enforcer here in the pack, that's why we were able to transfer here so fast. The procedure to get approved in a pack like this usually takes weeks, but I probably didn't have that kind of time back home.

It was lovely to meet her family and at least I'll have someone to help me along when school starts soon.

My mother is actively trying to get me enrolled here, but there's so much bureaucracy that it's taking her longer than expected. I told her to ask for Mrs. Ashmore's help. She works at the school.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my last free days playing video games - there's a playroom inside the pack house where residents can use the consoles available - and getting acquainted with the town.