Chapter 15: Layla

Quentin

I almost felt sorry for him.

Like being the boy who fled his home out of fear of his father wasn't bad enough, the fairy is a freak who can't even shift. Poor boy!

I had every intention of making him feel sorry for throwing me off a wall, but Goddess protects me from being near him. No, thanks. Life is already punishment enough for him, I don't need to add bodily injuries to the mix.

I have made plenty of people crawl at my feet before, but I've never seen anyone crumble quite like he did in front of the entire class. It was almost making me feel bad for him, that's how bad it got.

Sometimes people take the fun out of revenge and I was genuinely just curious about not being able to mind link him. I could never have imagined the reason was so nefarious. So salacious, he practically handed himself to me on a silver platter.

Anyway, that's over now. I'm betting he's done messing with me. He knows what I'm capable of and should have learned his lesson. Don't fuck with me, it's not gonna end well for you.

Ironically, I was the least bit surprised to see my brother feeling empathy for him. I know he relates to the freak on some level, I get that. So that hug wasn't surprising at all. What surprised me was seeing Dragomir bothered by it. I know he doesn't like to see men doing stuff in front of him - neither do I - but it was just a hug. Even I understood it was out of pity.

In the days that followed, the boy was more diminished than Layla when she loses to me in wrestling practice. Though she puts up much more of a fight than he did. That was child's play compared to beating her.

Like I said before, don't let her gender fool you. She's a fierce warrior who is better than most of the boys in the team.

My week was divided between school and training in the center with Mr. Booker. Speaking of fierce warriors, that man is a beast.

He doesn't let us have any easy time inside the center. He always challenges Jude and I to new combat moves and keeps us on our toes constantly.

I'm sure my father wouldn't have it any other way. It's tough business being Alpha of a pack, especially the largest in the country.

It's an exhausting routine, but I'm used to it by now. At least I don't have training every day of the week. I mean, I can rest on weekends and the occasional Fridays.

I take every opportunity I get to be with Cassie in between breaks. Fortunately, we have most of our classes together so it's easy.

Though I told Dragon to get a girlfriend before, I understand why he refuses to. It's a recipe for heartbreak. But my birthday is still months away and I'm horny now.

Sorry, not sorry. I want what I want and make no excuses for it. Though I'm sure that should the worst happen, I'm gonna be devastated. But it's the price of admission for dating while unmated.

I don't particularly look forward to having my heart broken or breaking Cassie's. But I can't give her up. I won't, I refuse to do it.

By Friday, I was desperately looking forward to another weekend. It's going to be an extended holiday weekend with Labor day falling on Monday, so I had an extra day off from school and training.

There's so many activities I'm looking forward to doing. My parents are going away for the long weekend, so we'll have the house all to ourselves.

Because of my dad's position, he travels a lot for work representing our pack but this time they're visiting my mother's parents who live in El Paso.