Chapter 8: Kings & Queens

Jude

That prick.

I really try to be the bigger person, but Quentin constantly gets on my last nerve, destabilizing my mental health. Why does he get off picking fights with me?

What does he have to gain by being such a massive jerk?

Honestly, I'm lost. Whatever did I do to deserve this? Why couldn't I have a normal twin brother like most people? He should be my best friend, not my enemy, for Goddess' sake!

Why does he have to pick on me? For fuck's sake, leave me the hell alone!

Now, I can take a punch. I can take a beating if I have to. I can also put up a good fight, but what I can't allow is for people I love to be mistreated. I absolutely hate when Quentin and his posse call Layla a freak.

She is a werewolf just like the rest of us. There's no reason to call her names. It's not her fault if her parents are not mated to each other or that her mother is human. Neither of those factors have no bearing on her life whatsoever.

The fact that our society treats her differently simply for being born is a fucking tragedy. It's no different than singling out omegas because they can get struck by heat. What the hell is that about?

We are werewolves, people! We should be living our lives in unity and hiding from the humans to protect our existence. Not displaying prejudice on people who were born a little differently. In Layla's case, it's even worse than if she was an omega.

Here I was thinking we should leave prejudice for the humans, but no... we're still as backward as our way of thinking. Honestly, the whole thing is bullshit to me.

We should celebrate our differences, not discriminate against the people who are not the same as we are. In my book, if you shift into a wolf that means you're one of us. No matter your ethnicity, social status, financial condition, breeding, whatever. If you're a werewolf, then I'm in your corner. That's how a leader is supposed to behave. I fear for this pack if it falls on Quentin's hands at times.

I know I said I don't want to be Alpha and I really don't. That hasn't changed so far, but sometimes late at night I fear for the future with this type of leadership. My father, for all his flaws, is all about inclusivity.

He may be ruthless with his enemies, but he's all about making sure this pack serves all its citizens. A lesson I'm sure my brother should be reminded of every now and then.

After our fight in the waterfalls, my parents had us stranded inside the house for a week. We were only allowed to go to the training center to help out or to practice. I wasn't allowed any visitation, neither was my brother.

And he whined about not seeing Cassie every single day. I was just about to stuff a pillow on his face when he was sleeping. I can't take it anymore!

Why does an overgrown teenager need to whine like a bitch in heat over not seeing some girl? For Goddess' sake, give it a rest already! You like her, we get it! Shut the fuck up! It's not like she's your mate... *eye roll*

Ironically, I was very relieved every time I could go out to the center. At least, there were different people then. I could train and exercise once my wolf healing was done. Quentin did a number on me when we fought, but I'm sure I left him even worse. Well, I know so. I saw the bruising on his bare torso inside the bathroom. Fucker!

I hate him so much right now. He goaded me into a fight I didn't even want.

But if you come for me, you will find me. That's a promise. Especially if you involve Layla, my very best friend. Not to say that she needs me to defend her. She's not a damsel in distress, but she can't act against my brother.