Chapter 45: Why

Beck

It's difficult to assimilate that I'm Jude Atwood's mate.

I don't know how my mom is gonna take this news, but as soon as I arrived at the pack house I went straight to her bedroom. There was plenty of time before dinner, so I needed to talk to her as soon as possible before any of this got out.

I knocked at her door and as soon as she opened it, the shock was clear on her face.

After I entered, it took me a long time to tell the embarrassing story of how I got discovered by my mate after we had already completed the bond. Fortunately, she didn't judge me for the sex. She listened to everything I had to say, including the part where I shifted into a wolf for the first time ever. That really shocked her, more than the mating thing. Go figure... *eye roll*

We spent the late afternoon talking at length. In the end, she was happy for me to have found my mate here. This was something nobody expected it to happen, much less us to be honest.

"I thought he'd be mated to an omega." - She commented, very surprised by this.

"Me too. Neither of us understood how the Goddess reached this pairing. But I'm not complaining." - I said, humorously. The reason why she paired us together is above my paygrade, but I'm so thankful for it.

I'm not even gonna pretend to be cool. We all know by now I ain't.

I'm in love with my mate and so grateful to be mated to him. That's the absolute truth.

I couldn't have picked a better mate than him even if I could, so for now I'm just grateful.

By the time I walked inside the guest dining room, the boarders were all surprised by my fresh mate mark. They all expressed their happiness to me, but when I told them who my mate was - of course they asked, it was the first thing they did - the freaked out stares were galore.

No one saw that coming.

You can say that again... *sigh*

After dinner, Jude arrived at the pack house to spend the night with me as promised.

With our close proximity, the mate bond is as fresh as it is strong. We spent almost the entire night loving each other. By four in the morning, both of us collapsed by each other's sides exhausted.

I would miss the breakfast schedule on Sunday, but when my alarm clock went off I woke up lazily and starving. We took a quick shower together and I got downstairs with my mate. He isn't allowed to eat in the guest dining room, but he can score some food at the Ashmore's private dining hall.

As you know, Beta Ashmore [and his family] lives and runs this house. They take their meals in a separate dining hall, exclusive to their family and distinguished guests that are invited to the pack on occasion. Or the Alpha, if ever he needs to grab a bite while he's in the pack house.

Naturally, everyone was curious about Jude's mate mark and they were told the news. This isn't something that can be kept quiet, on the contrary. It's as noticeable as a hickey, but we can't scent them. Now a fresh mate mark can be scented in half a mile radius by any werewolf.

Elaine [Ashmore] was utterly gobsmacked by this news and by the time she finished breakfast, she had already sent a dozen text messages about it. Not exaggerating. Of course, the first one was for Owen. Everyone was happy for Jude. No one expected him to be left mateless for long.

We reunited after our separate breakfasts and spent some time inside the living room. A communal place where residents and their guests could meet and talk, other than the play room.