Chapter 99: Never Can Say Goodbye

Jude

I'm crying desperate tears that can't be stopped for the life of me.

Our mate had barely turned 18 last Sunday and now he is fighting for his life.

Yesterday, the two of us slept together in his bedroom at the pack house. We did nothing much last night, no hanky panky at all. We just watched TV and cuddled together. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then this morning we woke up frightened to find out there was a blood stain on the linen sheets, just where Beck had slept. At first, it was troublesome but not necessarily alarming. I was dead scared, but thought it could be just a (bad) sign of something wrong.

It definitely was a sign, a terrifying signal of a much more troubling condition I could never have anticipated. Beck started spotting while he and I were taking a shower and he collapsed on my arms inside the shower stall.

Under five minutes his mother was banging down his door, nearly catching us both still naked. I take it he had mind linked her just before he passed out and I struggled to get us both dressed in time to take him to the hospital, all the while he was still bleeding from the rear.

It was a clusterfuck, one I never imagined myself in the mix.

We arrived at the hospital as soon as possible where Beck was admitted for examination and the doctors worked on him for quite a while. I was getting desperate inside the lounge with Quentin and his mother. Of course, my brother was the first person I mind linked.

He would have sensed what was going on with our mate and got worried for him. With reason, of course. There are plenty of reasons to worry about our mate's health. I'm dreading the reality of how much he actually bled.

My parents arrived at the hospital shortly after, immediately offering their comforting, unwavering support in these desperate times. Goddess knows I hate that I can't feel my mate's presence. Our mate bond connection has gone feeble, barely there.

It's not that our bond has grown weaker, I just can't feel his presence at this time. It is absolutely terrifying to my very core, the essence of our mate bond is in question while my mate is undoubtedly still unconscious until now.

Desperation sinks in. The longer time passes, more grim scenarios take over my mind about the outcome of Beck's medical situation.

Did I do something wrong? Did I cause this? Did we? What could I have possibly done to prevent this? Doubts swirled in my mind as I'm wrecked with worry for our mate. Please Goddess, I can't do this without him. He's just too young to die.

The doctor appeared in the hospital lounge, his medical scrubs were covered in blood and his expression was grim. One look at him and all of us already prepared ourselves for the worst. He bowed his head to my dad before he addressed Talla.

"Good morning, everyone. Mrs. Becker, I am afraid I have some difficult news to share." - He greeted us, looking at Talla with a dreadful expression on his face.

"Your son was admitted to the hospital with a severe hemorrhage. We suspected he was miscarrying and we were right, but it took us a while to get the blood loss under control. Nothing seemed to work, so we took him up for a surgery." - He explained to us in a somber tone.

All of us were terrified as we listened to him explain what happened to our beloved Beck. Talla was in shambles and so were Quentin and I. My parents held us together from completely falling apart, but we were holding on by a thread.

"The surgeons worked tirelessly to save the gestation, to save Beck. Unfortunately, he lost too much blood and there was..." - He takes a breath, I could see that this was difficult for him too. Not to say that he is feeling it as bad as any of us, of course.