Chapter 23: Man In The Mirror

Quentin

It got away from me.

Usually, a good threat is enough to make people think I'll hit them. I don't usually have to harm anyone in order for them to fear me, my threatening glance already does the trick.

But that fairy freak has a way of getting on my last nerve.

I didn't want to punch him, but when he called me a dick - in the way of what was supposed to be an apology - I totally lost it. Before I realized it, my fist went ahead and smashed the boy.

Ironically, I didn't even want to hit him at first. I was angry, but not in the way I usually get.

Unfortunately, I can't tolerate the disrespect shown by Beck. It was bad enough him saying Cassie is too good for me... that really touched a nerve. We've been together for a couple of years now, no one else sees us as anything other than future Alpha and Luna.

I know she might not be my mate, I'm not delusional. But that doesn't mean anyone should say that she's too good for me. Of course, she is. My mother is better than my father, but that is the nature of things. Women make us better.

Speaking of my parents, I got the scolding of a lifetime from them. I thought my dad was angry when he had to stop our fighting near the waterfalls, but now he was beside himself mad.

I hate to feel like I'm a disappointment to my parents, I really do. I guess I need to do some soul searching and figure things out because I'm out of second chances now. The next step is isolation and if I lose my father's favor, I might as well kiss being Alpha goodbye.

I thought I'd spend my suspension grounded at home, but my father had the bright idea of taking me to the pack house to help out. That's my father for you, his idea of punishment is service.

I may not have grown up wanting for anything, but I'm a far cry from Jalensky's upbringing. He was born into privilege as I was raised to fight for what I wanted and not take anything for granted. It can always be taken away from you.

I don't mind spending the day with my dad, on the contrary. The problem was that he was mad at me, so he gave me the grunt work. I did everything except emptying the trash can. I even helped around the kitchen staff, since the pack house employs cooks to prepare meals for its residents.

I felt a little itch to poison Beck's food - he lives here too with his mom - but it'd be impossible to separate what he eats from the rest of the residents. It's all cooked in bulk, then served in various trays for people to help themselves.

It's also the same food Beta Ashmore and his family eat, though they take their meals separately from the rest of the residents.

Anyway, I'm not a murderer and he didn't do anything that would warrant that kind of response from me. I'm just irritated that I'm in the dog house because of him.

I arrived home with dad tired from all the work, ready for dinner and a relaxing bath.

At least I don't have to compete with Jude for the bathroom since he hasn't arrived yet. He's training. He's not supposed to train without me, for fairness' sake, so Mr. Booker probably gave him exercises.

I took a long bath and soon enough, he was banging at the door just like any other day.

"Did you use your Alpha command to humiliate Dragomir in front of the entire class?" - I questioned my brother once I read about the shocking news on my phone. Both my parents gasped in shock inside the kitchen, just before we started eating dinner.

Jude was taken aback by my question, but pretended to not be fazed before dad's piercing gaze.

"I only made him apologize for using a homophobic slur." - Jude defended himself as if he was an unsung hero. My parents were very surprised to hear about this.