Chapter 97: Light My Candle

Quentin

March has come already with a bang.

Just before we broke for spring break, Blaine got mated on his birthday, the final day of classes before a well deserved time off. He was so shocked by his mate's identity.

To be quite honest, I wasn't. I don't claim to be smart like Owen, but the writing was on the wall for this pairing. It is rather obvious when you think about it, in a way.

Of course, one could argue it only became obvious once we were aware of the truth. When you're still in the dark, the reality can be hard to figure out. It's like the end of the film "Sixth Sense", once we get to the end everything makes sense but you'd never guess that ending from the clues alone. What a fantastic film.

Now back to Blaine's mating, he was very shocked to find out who was shining her eyes at him. It was such a moment between them, there were tears in their eyes. I kid you not, they were very emotional by this.

"I, Blaine Anthony Booker, accept you Elaine Ashmore as my mate." - He declared, visibly shaken.

"I, Elaine Ashmore, accept you Blaine Anthony Booker as my mate." - She repeated back to him and then they hugged each other. It was a sight to behold to see them together, the seemingly odd couple. Who would have known that the Beta's daughter and the head enforcer's son would get mated to each other?

Not me, my money was on Rachel. But I have been wrong about mates before. I have literally lost a car to my poor matching skills, though no one could have ever predicted I'd be mated to a boy.

While our classmates congratulated them on being mated, I couldn't help but to look at my pregnant mate. How did we get here? Pregnant in high school. That seems so chiché and oddly he looks great, at peace with this.

Beck, Kingsley, Jude, Layla, Jalensky, Bode, Cassie and Owen congratulated the happy couple. It was a joyful occasion and their mating would be celebrated all through the day by our classmates.

By the time we arrived at the gym for practice, even the coach felicitated Blaine for the mating. There was only one of us left to mate at this point and he was feeling the pressure now, not that any of us can control when we get mated.

All you can do is turn 18 and hope for the best. There are no guarantees as my own birthday has taught me.

Speaking of turning 18, it'll be Beck's birthday next Sunday so Mrs. Ashmore is hosting a dinner party on his behalf at the pack house. Just a few friends and family are invited. Viho is supposed to come too. *eye roll*

My mom has been so excited about Beck's pregnancy. You'd think she would be sulking for turning into a grandma before 40, but no. She is radiant. My father is less enthusiastic, but still as supportive as ever for our sake.

Talla has been working double time to make sure her son is properly fed and taking his prenatal vitamins. Everyone is showing their support to our family and it means the world to us.

On a personal note, I'm feeling conflicted. We do know one of the babies are definitely Jude's and the other one could just as well be his. I should be the father too, but if I bring this up now it'd seem insensitive of me. I can't make this about me when our mate is carrying two babies.

Now is not the time, not that I'm so sure there will ever be a time. Regardless, I shouldn't annoy anyone by being selfish about my concerns. What is important now is Beck's health. Let me worry first that my mate is okay and the babies are fine, then we'll sort things out if we can.

After school, Jude drives me to the training center to see what Mr. Booker has in store for us. Of course, the first thing we do is to congratulate him on his son's mating. He was eager to find out who Blaine's mate is and displayed a rare smile when he learned it was Elaine Ashmore.