Chapter 71: The House That Built Me

Jude

I felt devastated.

As much as I hated my brother for his stunt in asking for Mrs. Becker's permission to go with them back to the reservation, deep down I knew it was an excellent suggestion. I haven't even thought of that until then.

Of course he should have included me in the request, but we are way past that now.

Truth is, it was very mature of him to come together with me to discuss the relationship with our mate. As much as I wanted to ignore my brother and his mating to Beck, their trip to Dallas served to prove a rather alarming point.

That is, they are much closer than I expected. And by close, I mean they are going to complete the bond at any moment now. Beck barely escaped Dallas with his neck intact.

Anyway, it is what it is. That's not important right now. What's actually relevant is that we should come to an understanding regarding our mate so that what happened on Christmas' Eve doesn't occur again. Our mate dodging our attention for fear of upsetting the other twin. That was freaking awful.

Now it's Christmas day and we have spent hours negotiating some sort of deal to share our mate and his time available with us. It was exhaustive but with a little help from Beck, we managed to agree on something.

A draft of a deal, if you will.

Of course the whole thing could be pretty much pointless if neither of us are getting to spend some time with our mate. He's traveling tomorrow back to his reservation and we were NOT authorized to come along by his father.

I mean technically Quentin wasn't, which is kind of ironic since this whole trip was his idea.

Of course my dad was not gonna allow me to travel alone with Beck and have my brother be left behind. I think this is the part where I should empathize with him. Because how would I feel if the roles were reversed and I was the one being blocked from going on this trip?

Awful. I'd feel awful. So I know what my brother must have felt just now.

In fact, it was such a scene that our mate was moved enough to call his father and have him authorize our departure under penalty of him not going as well. I would say he's bluffing, but it was such a powerful, resolute tone that no one would suspect he didn't have a 'royal straight flush' on his hands.

I mean the boy was on a mission and he wasn't about to take bullshit from anyone.

It actually made me respect him that much more. I'm legitimately swooning at my mate for his decision and resolve, even if his father calls his bluff. Whatever happens now, we have played our hand. There's nothing for any of us left to do except to wait and see.

"I need to get home now or I'll miss dinner." - Beck told me as soon as he got off the phone with his father. Both my parents were jaw dropped in awe of him for the way he spoke and so was my brother.

"Yes, of course. I'll be back soon." - I said, looking at my parents.

We walked to the garage together and got in my car towards the pack house. It's a quick trip, but too far to be done by foot. Once we arrived there, we said our goodbyes as he was going to the dining hall, then pack up his belongings for the trip.

"I love you, mate. If I don't see you again until New Year, know that you are loved and you'll be missed." - I told him while embracing him in a tight hug, feeling emotional.

"I love you too, Jude. I'll miss you everyday I spend away from you." - He told me, also fighting back tears. It was a very emotional farewell and I was dreading being away from him. Like a lot.