Chapter 62: Tension

Jude

I feel it coming in the air.

Not like Beck scented Kingsley's heat, no. But I feel like my brother's efforts are gaining track with our mate. First, his round of apologies to everybody he hurt. Then, all the presents he's been giving and small gestures Quentin has been doing to woo our mate.

It's slowly doing its intended effect. Everyone is impressed by how Quentin has been acting lately, especially Beck. I mean, he even apologized to me. I guess whatever conversation the two of them had inside the school bathroom the other day really struck a chord with my brother.

I don't want my mate to surrender to his charms, but at this point it is just a matter of time.

It's not a question of if, but when.

And I feel it coming like a bomb I'm not prepared to handle. But then again, who is ever prepared to be bombarded?

It is what it is. It speaks to our very nature. And Goddess only knows how hard he has been taking lately. Both him and his second mate. The rejection costs and the price is paid daily, hourly even.

Anyway, all I can do is to try to brace myself for the inevitable acceptance that I know it's coming.

Any day now...

The first two weeks of December have come and gone. Despite my brother's best attempts to conquer our mate, he is still resisting him.

Meanwhile, I have taken this time to go out with Beck and enjoy our weekends together. Now that Quentin is back to training [and wrestling practice], we won't have the same opportunities. Though most of the time we spent together is over the weekend anyway.

Now speaking of getting back to activities, Layla's suspension is done and she finally returned to wrestling practice. You couldn't find a happier girl yesterday in school.

She really loves wrestling boys who shouldn't lose to her but do. It's kind of funny, but this was her therapy when she had to cope with being transferred here against her will after she turned 12 and shifted into a wolf for the first time.

Goddess knows my brother did not let her forget she's an unmated child. *sigh*

"I haven't seen you this happy since you were dating." - I commented to my best friend during lunch break on Tuesday. It was just the three of us since Jalensky "kidnapped" Kingsley to eat at his table with my brother and some of the other jocks.

"I'm just pleased to have returned to the team. I really missed it. I need my workout." - She replied, not particularly a fan of me bringing up the time she was with Blaine.

"Well, I'm happy for you." - I said with a smile. It's not my thing, but I can understand what this means to her at this point, especially since she has scholarship potential. And we're all planning on going to college.

"If you could refrain from nearly maiming my mate, that would be even better." - Beck snickered with a rather disturbed tone.

"It was a reflection, a defensive move. I didn't do it on purpose!" - She glared at him fiercely.

"I know. I'm just saying..." - He looked at her with a peculiar stare.

"Why couldn't your mate have just stuck with you as a partner?" - She spoke, looking at me and breathing out a frustrated sigh.

"Tell me about it!" - I rolled my eyes, also breathing out a frustrated sigh.

Back at the classroom, Quentin approached our mate as soon as we entered.