Chapter 88: Do You Remember

Beck

I'm devastated.

As soon as I got the call from my father, I knew it was something bad. I just never could have guessed how bad it was. I have never seen my father crying, but he was sobbing on the phone.

His mother has passed away and it was as if I could feel his sadness as he spoke those words. I felt an overwhelming pain washing over me for the loss of my grandmother. She was such an incredible woman and leader to the community.

When my grandfather was the Chief of the tribe, she was a great partner to have in times of peril. An amazing healer to come to if you're in dire need of her magical herbs. A formidable mother and a voice of reason when her mate needed one.

She was truly amazing and will be sorely missed by the entire tribe. She helped so many women over the decades, not only with problems such as what I had, but mostly she was accessible when people could not always afford to go to a doctor.

It's easy to forget these things cost money and not everyone has health insurance.

If you had a headache, my grandmother had the medicine. Cramps? She got your back. Are you bleeding? There's an ointment for that too. You needed it, she had it. Without judgment, she saw everyone even when all they could pay her was an offering. Her household never lacked chicken, even if she didn't have the taste for it on a personal level.

My grandmother was resourceful. She raised three children and still had time to help out her mate when he needed her to. Calm, cool and collected, no one would raise their voice to her. She was always the one who ended conflicts with her wisdom.

My mother had impossibly large shoes to fill as the next tribe chief's mate. Fortunately, she is a headstrong woman who challenged her mate to attend college away from the reservation - the first woman in her family to do so - and made a name for herself, especially within the mothers of the reservation who relied on the recreational center to take care of their small children while they worked.

It was her pride and joy to work there and to be a teacher for the younger generation of Cheyennes. I know she misses her work and she had to take a pay cut when she found work here in Ruckerford Falls as a teacher's assistant. I hope a teacher's position becomes available for her soon.

Actually, I do hope she gets back to the reservation and to her mate. Now that my father and her have patched things up, I know she misses him. I'm mated as well, so I know how it goes. It's a fact of life.

After my mother came home from work, she called me to her room to discuss our inevitable trip back to the reservation. She has already informed the school she works of what happened and they gave her tomorrow off. There's no classes as of yet, anyway. It was just internal stuff.

Mom said that if my mates wanted to go, she would have no problem taking them as long as they showed up tomorrow after breakfast. We had no time to waste if we wanted to attend my grandmother's funeral.

We hugged each other before I left her room and I called my mates some time after that.

Unfortunately, my mates were in hot water with their dad for pulling some stunt earlier today. I guess they thought the Alpha had an ill will towards me and the pain I felt for my grandmother's passing freaked them out, leading them to think their dad had something to do with that.

Now I feel guilty about it. I should have texted them right away when I got the sad news, but I was so overwhelmed by it that I couldn't think straight. I couldn't deal with anybody else at that moment.

They wished me to have a great trip and sent their love and support over this difficult time.

I'm crying over dinner. The other boarders saw the mood my mother and I were in when we entered the dining room and respected our privacy. But right now the pain is unbearable. I loved her very much and I'm going to miss her so bad.