chapter 23

They met at an upscale store where the prestige of the black card immediately did away with prejudice against the sweats and tattered tees the three wore

Well, that and one look at the faces of these two men. 

Immediately they were handed glasses of champagne and piles of suits to try on.

Dae laughed, spotting the perfect simple dress across the showroom.  What she wore did not matter.  Tonight was all for Taehyung.

She watched as the sales clerks fought for his attention.  He was the perfect flirt, eyes flashing, slow smile appearing, deep voice vibrating.

Only his best friends saw beneath it.

Everything they tried on was declared perfect.  Dae could not disagree.  Jimin picked a white silk shirt and a navy Chanel suit.  He was born to be a model.  He came and sat next to Dae as they watched their friend, now the center of attention.

“He is hurt,” Jimin whispered, “Dr. Oh.”

It was a statement.  He did not need clarification.

Dae nodded.

“Tonight, if he does not break her heart looking like that, he will at least leave a crack in that ice,” Jimin predicted.

Dae shook her head.  Tae had shaken off the suits offered and settled on an ink black cashmere sweater with a deep turtleneck.  He wandered the store on his own, returning with a pair of black silk blend pants that were pleated and loose in the front. 

But, when he turned around, best friend or no, Dae was still a woman first.  She gave a low whistle as he turned and she saw the way the soft fabric draped his rounded ass.  He put one hand in his pocket and walked the length of the store. 

Dae watched as his body rolled with strength and grace.  Anger, or confidence or a bit of both radiated from him. 

The usual twinkle was gone from his eyes, replaced by cold calm.  His full mouth, usually so easy to smile was in a firm pout, making him beautiful and unapproachable.

He glided to a stop in front of them and gave a half turn in front of them.  The look on his face could seduce the hardest heart.
It simply made Dae sad.  She could see the cage forming around her friend’s heart even as he gave her a ghost of a smile.

“OH Tae! You are stunning.  I'll look at shoes while you two go get….ummm…get…..pick out….”

Her face was flaming as Jimin laughed at her.  They had talked about lovers and fears and kinks freely with each other, but she was not about to have a discussion about their underwear preferences in front of a half dozen adoring shop girls.

“SongDae,” Tae said, his voice deep and thick, his words ringing low and sure, “one does not cover this ass with underwear.  That one either as a matter of fact,” he finished pointing at Jimin.

She strangled back her reply and muttered something as she hurried away to pick what she wanted for tonight. She pretended not to notice the two gorgeous men complimenting each other’s asses in the mirror as she hurried away.

Jimin stepped away when the staff completed the alterations he needed, leaving Taehyung staring at himself in the mirror.

His critical eye swept his appearance, aware that tonight he would have to face Caro in front of everyone in the art department, the judges for the scholarship, and the boy she had taken this afternoon.  Then he blanched as the thought crossed his mind that perhaps that he was one of many.

The boy in the mirror cooled into a man, held aloof from the world by hooded eyes and brooding lips.  He did not notice it made him even more attractive.  His only thought was he felt safe behind a wall he was creating.

He looked at himself critically in the mirror.  The all black matched his somber mood.  He knew it made him look older, more sophisticated.

He glanced at the turtleneck.  It fit him well, hinting at his broad shoulders and toned chest, skimming his body and disappearing into the perfectly fitted pants.

But the only thing he noted was that he was covered completely.  There was no hint of the bruises or marks Caro liked to leave on him.  She particularly liked to comment on them later when they were in public. 

Tonight, everything would be perfectly concealed from her.  His body, his thoughts, his emotions were all tightly in his control and she no longer had any power over him. 

He smiled at himself in the mirror, giving one final glance at himself.  If either of his friends had seen him at that moment, they would have been shocked.  The Taehyung standing in that mirror was a changed man. 

He turned as he heard Jimin's low whistle.  Dae had tried on the dress she picked and she was a knockout in simple lines and muted color.

The three left with their purchases in boxes, picking up chicken and soju on the way back to Dae's apartment.  Jimin insisted on grabbing whiskey and champagne, insisting “you never know…”

The men ate and drank while Dae primped and got ready in her room, then they took ten minutes to dress and look like supermodels.  She complained that it really was unfair. 

Their laughter eased Tae's nerves and calmed him for the night to come.

By the time they arrived at the exhibition they were all three buzzed by the cheap liquor and buoyed by their friendship.

Tae took a deep breath and entered the student gallery where he had been so humiliated just hours before.  It helped that it had been transformed into a beautiful space with art and lighting.  Soft music and quiet voices mingled for background noise.

Tae drew a steadying breath when he realized Caro was not in the crowd.  He relaxed a fraction.  She would make a grand entrance later he was sure, but for now he was safe.