chapter 64

At that she began to try to explain to him the thing about her that could not be explained

For as long as she remembered, she knew things, things she had no way or reason to know.  She could also read people.  Her intuition was never wrong.

Sky paused and drew a deep breath.  He was listening carefully.  He had not yet ridiculed her and that gave her the courage to continue.

She talked about her childhood and the things that had happened to make the other kids tease her and how in time the teasing became active bullying.  She tried to tell him how difficult it was to be called names and hated because she was “different”. 

He held her tighter as she told him how she could sense emotions from people and always had a strong sense of whether their intent was good or evil. 

She again recalled for him the time she had been blinded to those vibes and the damage that had been done to her in that maze at the house party so long ago. It had made her unsure about even the simplest things for years.

She also acknowledged how hard it was for her to be out in crowds for any length of time and how draining it was for her. 

The entire time she talked she could feel him nodding in agreement and saying soft words of understanding that she felt rumble from his chest to hers.

She shared everything with him.  Everything to the point of how she felt about him. 

For some reason she hesitated.  She had no doubt of the certainty of her feelings for him, but she also knew this was not the time.  In some ways this was the beginning and she was sure she would find the place and time for the rest.

Tae absorbed her words, lying in the dark of midnight feeling everything she said.  He felt tears prick for the little girl who was teased, the teenager whose trust was abused. 

Then she seemed to run out of words and he just held her as they both processed what she had shared.

“I knew there were other people who felt and saw things the way I did, but I never really knew someone,” Tae started, kissing her when her head popped up from his chest. 

It made sense somehow, the way he understood when she needed time alone, the way he never treated her as weird.

He began to explain his childhood and how ruthless his bullies had been until the day he and SongDae fought back. 

He shared how close they were and how she had protected him until at some point the roles reversed and her became her guard.

Sky realized she was a bit jealous.  Not really of his relationship with Dae, but in the fact that he had such a protective force in his life.  She told him just that and he shared all the ways he thought his life had changed because of the bond he and Dae had created.

He kissed her and told her he so wished she had someone to protect her when she was young or even better, he could have been there for her.

They talked for another hour, until his legs were cramped and she was fighting the yawns that shook her.

Finally, they came to a place of quiet, each contemplating the truths the other had shared.
Slowly she untangled herself from him, drawing on her robe and belting it tightly. 

He sat as she moved, unsure what to do next. 

He looked at his clothes shed in a path across the room and dreaded the thought of getting dressed and going home.

He watched as she gathered his things, thinking of ways to postpone goodbye.  She turned back to him, beautiful in the moonlight, the red velvet clinging to her, her lips still bruised and her hair tugged into a riot.

He smiled as she approached him and buried his face in her breasts, stealing deep breaths of her.

She sighed as he held her, his arms snaking around her waist and his head dropping to her chest.

“Come to bed,” she said, dropping a kiss on the crown of his head and moving away toward the stairs.

He watched as she swayed across the room, her hips enticing him still, again, his clothes held captive, his heart too if he was honest.

He watched as she started up the stairs and he stood to follow, an obedient subject to her pied piper.

She had reached the bedroom and laid his clothes on the chair by the time he arrived.  He watched as she slowly dropped the robe and crawled into the turned down bed, holding the covers in invitation for him to join her.

As soon as he stretched out next to her he began to harden, needing to celebrate the things they had shared, to express this new intimacy. 

Her deep moan as he kissed her echoed his need.  This time they were quick to find the fire, no clothes or words impeded them.  Their touches and kisses were bold and soon she was arching against him, crying in release and welcoming his final thrusts as he found his.

Once again, they wrapped around each other as their bodies cooled and their breathing evened out. 

They were in that perfect spot between afterglow and sleep when she kissed him one more time and whispered to him.

“Tae, the painting of me?” she asked. 

His deep rumble let her know he was still listening.” Did you know I dream of making love in a field of wildflowers? Just like in the painting…..”

She drifted off then, and he was close behind her, but not before the man at her side whispered how deeply his heart knew hers.

“I know,” he confessed.