chapter 50

Tae slumped his shoulders, adrenaline gone now

Tae slumped his shoulders, adrenaline gone now.  He looked at Sky's worried face as she rushed at him.  She was worried for him, not herself.  His true anger was expressed as “pissed off mob boss” and he meant every word of it.

He laughed at himself and straightened.

“You ok?” he asked.

“Yes, you?” was her response, at his nod she began to move.

“Taehyung…let's go,” she said, “I am ready to leave this place.

He nodded and put the duffle bags on his back and picked up the two boxes by the door.  She cradled a couple of keepsakes in her arms and gave a final look around. 

He walked out to wait, but she did not even pause. 

Outside, he opened the car door for her and she slid in, quiet and focused on her private thoughts.

He put the rest of her items in the trunk and got in the car searching his pockets for the keys. He found them behind the envelope he had taken and stuffed in his jacket pocket.

He handed it to Sky as he cranked the car and buckled up.  She stared at it in silence until they reached the café. Nev and one of the waiters came out to help, easily taking the few items in for her. 

Tae followed her inside, thru the busy lunch crowd and out into the courtyard.  The wind was brisk, but he knew this was where she would head.  Tae followed her beneath the tree and sank down beside her, thankful for the thick layer of fall leaves that gave them a blanket on which to rest.

She took a deep breath. She looked at the letter, read it, then read it again.

“It is from a law firm here in town.  I remember my dad and Edward both mentioning them.  They say they have been trying to reach me for some time,” she paused.

“Should I call them?” she asked, eyes lifting to him and laughing to see he already had his phone out.

Tae rested his back on the tree and pulled her close as she dialed the number.  He wrapped his coat around her as he felt her tremble, then smiled as he felt her small arm snake around his waist.

“Tomorrow?” she asked from her phone conversation. He nodded at her.  He would be right there with her.

He closed his eyes as she confirmed the detail of the appointment tomorrow. 

He sighed.  Last night’s lack of sleep was definitely catching up with him.  The wind grew bolder and he began to wish for Lyra’s warm stack of blankets.  But Sky was holding him so tightly and fit against him so perfectly that he refused to move.

Sky was cold and she knew Tae was too.  All the fear and stress of this day washed away here in his arms.  She just wanted to stay here.

As her thoughts drifted, they rested on the brandied tea, soft blankets and the heat from the flickering fire place.  The combination was too tempting.