chapter 88

They were interrupted by Nev clearing his throat and announcing dinner was ready to serve

Lyra invited them all to take a seat and the staff served the plates and dimmed the lights so the candles and lanterns gleamed in a soft glow around the room.

Conversation flowed as the meal progressed.  Jin started them all in a time of reflection as he told them how much they all meant to him, how he appreciated their friendship and wished them health in the new year. 

They each took turns sharing their feelings with the others.  Several times they brought Sky near tears as their love and affection for each other was freely expressed.

To the many, many gifts Tae had given her, she added this group of people.  They stayed at the table long after dessert, well into after dinner drinks.

Lyra noticed Nev's crew yawning and she suggested they move to allow them to finish their work.

Soon afterwards, Hobi announced that it was time to get home.  He hugged Sky on his way out and told her once more what a wonderful evening this had been.

Watching everyone gathered there, one last glance around the space, glowing in the candlelight, the thought chasing around her all week spun into focus.  She searched until she found YoonGi and asked him for a few moments of his time.

Tae looked around for her and found her talking to YoonGi in the corner of the bar.  He could see the animation in her face, the gentle affirmation in his friend's gaze.  His heart thumped harder.  She had changed so much since that first day.  He believed he was watching another metamorphosis tonight.  He was so damned proud.

His attention was caught by the sight of Jimin crossing the long gallery from the candlelight into the brighter bar area.  He had told Tae he wanted to spend some time alone with his paintings. 

As he watched his friend, his first thought was that he looked so weary.  It was more than jetlag.  He was worn down.  There was a melancholy weight to him as he moved   His signature grace was absent. The fluid roll of his hips and shoulders replaced by small, still movements.  Tae frowned.  He needed to find out what was going on here.

He watched as Jimin stopped, breathtaking in the natural spotlight.  He seemed surprised and a bit lost to find himself here, in this place, surrounded by his people.  As Jimin soaked it all in, Taehyung saw Dae turn in Jin's lap and saw his quick kiss and nod.

Then Dae did what every one of them longed to do just then.

She walked to Jimin and kissed his cheek, he blinked and seemed to refocus, taking in the face of the woman he knew loved him beyond all barriers. 

He heaved a deep sigh and dropped his head to her shoulder as she encircled him in her arms.  He held onto her like a life line as she whispered in his ear. 

Taehyung met Dae’s worried gaze over Jimin's shoulder and immediately moved to them, stretching his long arms to hug both of them.  Feeling Tae’s embrace Jimin turned and hugged his best friend, rocking back and forth. No words were needed.  The three of them would always find comfort together.