chapter 43

Tae made his way to Dae, confirmed her knowing look that Lyra and gotten her way

He made his excuses to head home, his headache real and not a lie.  It felt like every idea he had was screaming for his attention and every emotion was threatening to surface.  He needed quiet. 

Dae could see he needed his quiet space and reached to kiss his cheek good night. 

As he was turning toward the door, the leggy brunette from Paris, Jimin's description not his, stepped in.

“Are you leaving?” she asked, not bothering to hide her disappointment.

Something about the honesty in that caught him off guard.

“Yes, I am,” he responded, reaching into his breast pocket, “ I enjoyed meeting you.”

He watched her face as he handed her his card.   Her eyes flared when their hands touched and her smile was sweet. 

Tae sighed as the thought flickered through his mind.  She would be simple and sweet, no secrets, no angst.  Was it time?

She surprised him by taking the lead.

“It was nice meeting you too.  I was hoping to get to talk with you some more.  May I call you this week?” she asked. 

Tae nodded, thinking maybe “sweet" was not the right word for her.  There was only one way to find out.

“Sure, maybe you could meet me for drinks at a Café Dae and I invested in.  It would be helpful see what your impressions are,” he said smoothly.

“Great I’ll walk you to the door,” she responded, the two of them already comparing calendars.

He missed Dae's frown.  The other guys thought the single woman should be invited, she and Lyra had been hesitant. 

And just now watching Tae’s head bent to catch what his new friend was saying she worried.  He seemed to be still fragile. Jimin joined her just then, following her line of sight, picking up on her worried frown.

“Let him be.  They are both adults and he needs a distraction.  It will be ok,” Jimin assured her. She watched as Tae headed out the door and the women stood staring after him, then down at the card in her hand.

Dae sighed.  How she wished for her best friend to find deep, safe, nurturing love, a woman she could trust with Taehyung's heart. 

He needed a partner, a lover, not a distraction. But for Jimin's benefit she simply nodded.

A few days later Tae was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as he made his way through traffic to the café.

He was due to meet Susan, the girl from the dinner, in ten minutes and he was going to be late.  He hated to be late for anything, but today he had been caught in construction. 

It seemed Nev was right.  This neighborhood was growing and the café and gallery would be a good draw for the revitalized area.

He had picked this day and time to meet because Nev was hounding him to make plans for the last quarter of the year. 

Holiday season was a challenge near a college.  When the students went home the business could really suffer.  Nev had holiday ideas he wanted to propose to Taehyung.

Tae decided it would be safe to meet Susan for drinks, then excuse himself for a business meeting.  He was nervous and cursing himself for ever handing her his card.

She was cute and easy to talk to, but he had no intention of trying a relationship right now and his heart was too tied to his brain to think about sleeping around just for kicks.  Still, he had given her his number and she had called, so here he was, pulling into the café feeling dread to his toes.

Nev called out to him as he entered and he waved to his friend, going over to speak to him.

“I am meeting someone here,” Tae shared, “drinks only, then at 4 I will excuse myself for our meeting. Got it?”

“You sure?” Nev asked, “I think she is already here.  And she is beautiful.”

Tae followed his gaze across the bar and his heart sank as he saw the young woman seated in the corner table.  His table, the corner he had studiously avoided since that last time with Sky.

Nev was right.  Tae blinked at the girl who was trying not to notice him.  She had let her hair down and it fell in curls down her back.  The bar lights picked up golden glints when she moved.  Tae swallowed hard.

She was wearing a silk blouse that matched the blue of her eyes and clung to her figure like a glove. The pencil thin skirt showed exactly how long and perfect her legs were as she sat with them elegantly crossed, one foot swinging a high-end designer heel as she waited for him.

She was beautiful and elegant and smart and kind and sexy and everything a man could ask for in a woman.

“What are you waiting for?” Nev asked.  Tae smiled; he had just asked himself the same question.

He walked away from the bar without answering Nev's question, he had already answered it in his head.  He went to meet his date anyway.

She was as sweet and charming as Tae remembered.  They were soon talking easily to each other. 

They found they had much in common and spent a great deal of time discussing all the places they loved to travel.  Tae found himself relaxing and letting loose of the stopwatch he was keeping in his head. 

He found that he really enjoyed her company.  Maybe he should reconsider.  He was thinking of his schedule next week and debating whether to ask Susan on a “real" date when Nev stepped up beside him.

Tae frowned.  Was it 4 already?

Before he could ask or make an excuse to Susan, Nev spoke up.
Something about his expression put Tae on alert.

“Sorry to interrupt, but there is someone here I think you should see,” he said, stepping back so that Tae now had a clear view behind him.

“She tried to leave, but I made her promise to stay until at least I spoke to you,” Nev finished.