chapter 37

Tae gently touched her shoulder but she never glanced away from her companion

“I am going outside to meet the medical crew and show them the way in,” he whispered.  Even now he could hear the sirens in the distance.

She nodded at him and was not even aware of when he slipped away.

Tae stood by his car as he watched the flashing lights approach.  He signaled the crew as they pulled in beside his car and they followed him to the apartment.

The room was too small for all the chaos that was happening, so Tae stayed outside and anxiously watched Sky through the doorway as the man was assessed and then loaded onto the gurney. 

Tae watched helplessly as she folded under the grief and sank to her knees as the man was taken to the ambulance.  He rushed into the room as soon as the doorway was clear, but she was already scrambling to get to him.

Tae stopped her gently.
“We will follow right behind them.  It will take a minute to load him.  Do you have your things?” he asked.

She looked around and picked up her cloak, pulling the hood deep over her head.  She picked up the market bag and as an afterthought grabbed a small book and placed it inside.  She nodded.

“I have to go,” she said.  Her voice monotone, her flat expression made Tae think that was a command she had just given herself.  He was so worried about her.  He had never felt more helpless.

He had timed her exit almost perfectly.  They were closing the doors to the ambulance as they entered the street.  When she would have run to the vehicle the driver shook his head and got in to drive away.

Tae took her and helped her in the car, buckling her seat belt, kissing her temple.  She stared straight ahead, silent tears her only response.

They followed the ambulance in silence.  Tae could see her knuckles turned white as she gripped the bag in her lap. 

An urge to take her hand, to attempt to soothe and comfort her passed quickly.  Tae knew right now she was too far away for him to reach. 

As selfish as he knew it was, that truth crushed him.

They arrived at the hospital and everything after that replayed in slow motion in Taehyung’s memory.

He parked in a way as to get to her before she could rush the ambulance.  The medical team swiftly ushered the patient inside and Tae and Sky followed closely behind.  They passed through one set of automatic doors, then another.

At the third set of doors a masked nurse stopped them.

“I am sorry, “she told them. “There is only limited entry beyond this point. What is your relationship to the patient?”

Sky looked blank for a moment. “Relationship?”

The nurse nodded and affirmed the question.

Tae felt Sky shaking beside him, but her voice was firm and true as she responded.