chapter 80

She followed the winding path to the back of the property and slowed when she came to the end of the path

Her designer’s eye took it all in, the wrought-iron fence and gate, the huge tree with its branches bending down, reaching to caress the earth. 

It was bare of leaves this time of year, but she could picture its beauty in the other seasons. 

She could imagine its fragrance in Spring, the lush shelter it would give in the heat of summer, the riot of color in the fall.  But right now, in the stark midwinter, its grey branches spread and reached, creating a frame for the lovely creature silhouetted in the late afternoon soon. 

Lyra watched as the figure in the dark cloak and hood slowly turned toward her.  She stared at the delicate features of the woman.  She was stunning.  She was fairy like, delicate and fragile with eyes that changed colors in the sun. 

She was the perfect match for Tae's beauty and spirit. And this was her place.  She belonged here near the wood and earth.  Lyra perfectly understood why Tae insisted it remain untouched.  She smiled at the beauty and stepped closer.

Sky had been standing, her face turned to the sun, soaking in the warmth and energy of the mid-day.  This time of year, it was rare to find and she embraced her old friend as it danced through the bare branches and filtered across her face.

She heard the door open to the café and felt someone approaching.  It was not Nev.  She felt a quiet spirit approaching. 

She could sense deep grief covered by a new growth of healing.  Tae was right.  She had much in common with this person.

She opened her eyes to see a woman approaching her.  She was dressed in fashion that was uniquely her own.  It was deceptively simple.  But Sky noticed the tiny details of lace and buttons.  She was covered in her art.  That gave this woman strength and confidence.

“Sky?” she said, her voice soft and sweet, “I’m Lyra.”

Sky smiled and moved forward.

“It is so nice to meet you,” she said.

 Instead of feeling shy or awkward as Sky expected, the woman’s open smile made her feel relaxed.  She had the crazy thought that it was if she was 10 again and welcoming a new friend to her tree house.

Lyra smiled and said, “ this is crazy, but this reminds me of when I was a kid.  There was a playground in our neighborhood, but because of some family things I never really got to enjoy it.”

“Yes!” Lyra agreed, laughing at the confirmation of her feelings, “Yes!  I feel the same! Oh, to have the chance to do those days over.”

Lyra paused, looking around and thinking.  She already felt a connection to Sky and freely said what was on her heart.