chapter 57

Damn it, she doubted he would ever exhaust the ways he could seduce her.

She thought that again as she walked down the stairs to see him sitting in one of the leather chairs, impeccable in a brown suit that caught the amber in his eyes.  His slow, seductive smile had her almost missing the bottom step.

  His slow, seductive smile had her almost missing the bottom step

“Stop that!” she scolded.

“Stop what?” he asked with all the innocence of a fallen angel.  But she knew from that smirk he knew damn well what he was doing.

“The car is here,” he announced, gesturing toward the stairs.  She followed him down, flustered by the touch of his long fingers on the small of her back, or the brush of his hand against hers.

Tae settled in the car and smiled.  Her racing pulse and the pink tint to her cheeks had nothing to do with her nerves over the visit to the lawyer’s office. That made him very, very happy.

They arrived at the imposing complex that housed the law firm.  Tae was familiar with the area.  It was near both iNovis and Dae's new office building. 

YoonGi's office was in the same block and Jimin's penthouse suite of offices soared above the skyline.  But it was clear Sky was uneasy as they approached the building. 

She slowed and reached to take Tae's hand for reassurance.  She found herself fighting the urge to pull her hood up and disappear until she felt Tae's long fingers lace in hers and grip her tightly.

“Ok?” he whispered in her ear as they stepped into the elevator.
She nodded, feeling his strength bolster her courage.

When they stepped into the office suite she relaxed.  It was warm and filled with sunlight, dark wood and live plants creating natural seating areas.

She was further distracted by the very attractive receptionist who took her name and confirmed her appointment. 

He was young, dark haired and plush mouthed and had eyes the color of moss. And those eyes definitely appreciated Taehyung. 

She felt jealousy rise as he smiled at Tae and asked his name.  He was even so bold as to ask for Tae's number “for the appointment log".

Tae laughed and put his arm around her waist, telling the young man the best way to reach him was through her.  She glared in the general direction of the front desk as Tae led her to a set of leather chairs.

“Damn right!” she muttered as she took a seat.

Tae laughed at her, delighted at the possessive streak he saw rise in her.

He did not have a proper chance to tease her before an older woman approached them.  She offered tea or coffee then explained she would return in a moment to escort Sky to the lawyer’s office.

She left no doubt the appointment was for Sky only. 

She had been struggling with that.  This seemed like the last connection with Edward.  She felt she had to finish this one last task, alone.  But she worried how she was going to tell Tae, and now she didn’t have much time.

“Taehyung,” she started, clutching one of his large hands in both of hers.  But then the words would not come.  She could not think of hurting him.

Tae saw immediately the conflict raging in her.  He wanted to rush in with her, protect her, shield her from any hint of hurt.  But he knew this was deeply private, a time for her for to honor the men who loved and raised her.

“I will be right here, call me and I will find you.” He promised.

She blinked the sheen of tears away.  She should have known he would anticipate what she needed.

“Thank you,” she whispered as the older woman appeared again, gesturing for Sky to follow her.

Tae watched as she disappeared down the hall, noting which door she disappeared behind. 

He was serious, one hint she wanted him and he would go to her immediately, no matter how many grey-haired gatekeepers he had to make his way past.

Sky sat nervously in the huge office at the end of the corridor.  The view was magnificent and she forced herself to concentrate on the clouds reflecting in the mirrored windows all across the skyline.

She was calm and prepared by the time a side door opened and an older man with steel grey hair and thick glasses stepped in.  She smiled and bowed in greeting.  She remembered this man from several meals and parties with her father.

He looked at her for a long time and finally told her she had grown into the beauty he had known she would be.  She blushed scarlet at that, but he continued before she could think of a response.

“I was heartbroken to hear about Edward's death,” he began.  “He called me several months ago and told me he was sick.  I had hoped he could recover.”

He paused for a moment and gathered himself. “You will remember I was very good friends with Edward and your father.  They loved you very much and were so proud of you.”
“They both wanted to make sure you were taken care of if they were no longer able to do so, “he stopped, putting three files on the table between them.

“Your father left a sizable estate to Edward as his companion, with half put in trust for you until you were thirty, or Edward’s death, whichever came first” He slid one folder toward her.

“Edward’s assets, plus his share of your father’s estate were all transferred to you upon his death.”  He placed the second folder on top of the first.

“And finally, your father had invested your income and royalties from your books and art into an account in your own name.”  the third folder joined the pile.

Her tears were flowing freely now.  There was too much to comprehend right now, but what she did know was that she had been loved and those men had provided a way for her to be independent.  Finally, she was free to do as she wanted.

The lawyer was still talking and she forced herself to follow what he was saying.

“…growing very concerned because our repeated attempts to contact you were ignored.”

Sky thought of the vile man who had threatened her.  She saw him once again holding the lawyer’s letter out of her reach.

“I believe that the Dean of Edward’s department at the university was taking my mail in an effort to try to ….” She trailed off, too embarrassed to finish the sentence.

“Dr. Wilkes?” he asked.  He saw her surprise that he knew the name.  He frowned at her acknowledgement that he was correct.

“I was afraid of that.  He has called here insisting that Edward asked him to be appointed conservator over you so he could control your money.  You have to beware of him,” he warned.

She smiled at the memory of the man scrambling down the hall, terrified of the promised threats Tae had whispered.

“He is gone, for good,” she assured the older man.

He exhaled a huge sigh and slumped in his seat. 

“I can’t tell you how relieved I am to hear that,” he confessed.
“In that case, do you have an attorney you trust?” he asked, laughing at her perplexed look and whispered “you".

“No dear, not me.  I am going to retire.  I can finally do what I want and not the things people constantly demand I do.  I will wait until I know you are settled with someone I trust and then my new life  begins,” he told her, his smile genuine.

“I don’t know anyone,” she confessed, “but I bet I know someone who does.”

She was sure Taehyung could guide her in the right direction.