Intro

"Haruki, meet Shisui. Shisui, Haruki. You two will be working on this mission together."

Hyūga Haruki nodded at the Fourth Hokage as she stood before his desk with her would-be companion for their mission, a quiet, serious-looking boy her age with unruly wavy hair and dark eyes.

"Nice to meet you, Haruki," said Shisui in a friendly voice, looking towards the Hyūga heiress and shooting her a kind smile. Taken aback, Haruki merely returned his greeting with a curt nod, before turning her attention back to the Hokage.

"The objective is for you two to scope out what's going on with the Kumogakure shinobi who have set up camp at the border at the Land of Rivers," instructed the Hokage seriously, chin resting on the backs of his hands as he sat with his elbows propped up on his desk. As his bright blond bangs blew into his face, he blew them aside with a huff and said, "Don't engage in battle. Don't get caught. Alright?"

"Yes, Hokage-sama."

"I want you to leave as soon as possible. Leave a report of your departure at the village gate with Kotetsu and Izumo, and log your arrival when you return. Although you two are partners, I'm putting you in charge, Shisui. I want you to show Haruki the ropes, so that when the time comes for her to sit the jōnin exam, she'll already be confident in her leadership abilities."

"Yes, Hokage-sama."

"Alright. You two are dismissed."

Haruki bowed before backing out of the room, where she regrouped with her partner as he shut the door behind them.

At the tender age of 15, Shisui was already well known around Konohagakure for his prowess as a shinobi, which resulted in his promotion to jōnin at the age of 12. Hailed as a prodigy of the Uchiha clan, Haruki could only push herself to becoming at least half as decent a shinobi as her esteemed partner.

"So, shall we meet at the village gate in, say... twenty minutes?" asked the Uchiha, looking towards Haruki with an inquisitive expression. Haruki promptly averted her gaze, having previously brushed over the fact that Shisui was, in fact, quite good-looking.

"That sounds good," said Haruki, turning her head away in embarrassment as she felt her face going red.

"Look, I know the Hokage said I'm in charge, but I really don't think of it that way," said Shisui kindly, smiling reassuringly at the flustered Hyūga. "I know all about you, Haruki of the Hyūga clan. When are you sitting the jōnin exam?"

"Next month."

"Nice. Then we can officially be teammates, rather than senior and junior," chuckled Shisui, sticking his hands in his pockets as he began to lead the way down the corridor. "So, see you at the gate?"

Haruki watched as Shisui completely bypassed the door leading to the staircase and headed towards the closest open window, winking at the Hyūga as he leapt out.

"See you in fifteen minutes, Haruki!"