House Call

"Look, dear! Isn't he just the cutest!"

Paying Haruki and Masumi a visit a week after his birth, Mikoto squealed in delight at the sight of the little boy as he lay in his mother's arms, overjoyed at a new addition being made to their clan.

"Thank you," replied the Hyūga tiredly, who had been receiving guest after guest following Masumi's birth. Several members of the Uchiha clan had visited, and even Minato, Kushina, and Naruto had come- but much to Haruki's disappointment, there was no sign of any of her family or clan members. Vast the Hyūga clan may have been, but not a single soul had thought to come and check up on Haruki and Masumi. She wasn't surprised, though. She had no doubt her father must have made it very clear that any relationship with Haruki was forbidden.

"We're home!"

"Welcome back!"

Haruki looked up and called out as she heard Shisui's voice, seeing him join her, Mikoto, Fugaku, and Sasuke in the living room.

"Oh- hey, Itachi!" greeted Haruki warmly, genuinely surprised to see Itachi there. He merely nodded curtly in response, and followed Shisui as the latter joined Haruki's side.

"Shisui, you must be tired," frowned Haruki as her partner leaned down and kissed his son on the forehead. "Why don't you go shower and get some rest?"

"It's fine, it's fine," insisted Shisui, having come straight off of a mission. "The Hokage has given me the week off from now. You're going to have to put up with me, whether you like it or not! Where's okaa-san?"

"She popped down to the supermarket once Mikoto-ba and Fugaku-ji came over," explained Haruki, nodding at their guests. "She should be back soon."

"Right. Thank you for coming, oba-chan, oji-chan. It means a lot to us."

"It would've been rude of us not to come!" chastised Mikoto, patting Sasuke on the head as he sat with an irritated look on his face. "Baby is such a cutie! Isn't he, Fugaku?"

Arms crossed, Fugaku merely nodded stoically. 

"Your father would have been happy to meet him," said the clan leader. "Make sure you raise him right, Shisui."

"Hey, hey, oji-chan! What are you trying to say?"

As Shisui bickered with his uncle, Haruki sighed and turned towards Mikoto with a small smile.

"Will you be joining us for dinner?"

As the adults talked, Sasuke slid off of the couch and skulked towards Itachi, standing with him as they watched their little newborn relative in his mother's arms.

"Hey, nii-chan. What do you think of the baby?"

"What do you mean?"

"Everyone's making a big deal out of him, but really, he's just another baby. Don't you think so?"

Itachi sighed.

"To some people, he would be," began the elder Uchiha, chewing on the inside of his cheek as he thought of a way to address his younger brother's question. "But to Haruki-nee and Shisui-nii, it really is a big deal. He's their baby. Their first one. Maybe one day you'll understand too, when you have a baby of your own."

Itachi laughed at the look of disgust on Sasuke's face at the mere thought of having children of his own.

"Never," shivered Sasuke, tongue stuck out in disgust.

"You say that now, but just you wait."

"If anyone else should be having babies around here, it should be you next. You're sixteen now. Haruki-nee and Shisui-nii are twenty and twenty one. That's four or five more years, give or take."

"... just focus on graduating from the Academy."