Come Back Home

"Haru-chan, are you really sure you're up for this mission?"

"For the last time, Shisui, yes."

"We're going to be gone for at least a month. Are you sure you can leave for that long?"

A few weeks after Hanabi's birth and their mother's death, Haruki had been assigned to a long term mission, and at Shisui's request, the Hokage had allowed the Uchiha to accompany her.

"You don't need to come, Shisui," said Haruki coldly as she packed her belongings, Shisui standing at her bedroom door as he watched her prepare. "The Hokage specifically tasked me with this mission. You could just stay in Konoha."

"Please, Haru-chan," implored Shisui softly, walking into the room and shutting the door behind himself. "I'm worried about you."

"Alright, come along so you can see that you're just wasting your time," huffed Haruki, violently zipping up her backpack and placing it at the end of her bed. "Why are you coming along, even if the Hokage said you wouldn't be getting paid for it?"

"My parents have enough to get along while I'm gone," said Shisui, sinking to his knees as he knelt beside his friend. "Making sure you're safe is my number one priority right now."

"I wish it wasn't," sighed Haruki as she pulled out a box from under her bed, containing a series of scrolls that she would use during battle. As she rifled through them, she repeated, "You could just stay in Konoha."

"Haru-chan, you're not in a good state right now. Do you really want your sisters to lose you as well?"

"I'm not that weak, Shisui."

"I know you're not. But nothing is impossible."

"Thank you for your concern, Shisui. Are you going to go home and get packed? Or are you just going to stand here all night and talk my ear off?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay with me coming along."

"You do what you want, I don't care."

Frowning at Haruki's apathetic response, Shisui nodded and got to his feet.

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow morning, Haru-chan."

"Goodnight, Shisui."

As the Uchiha excused himself from Haruki's room, his presence was immediately replaced by another.

"Nee-chan?"

Hinata poked her head through the ajar door out of curiosity, blinking as she watched her sister going through her trove of scrolls.

"Yes, Hinata?" replied Haruki, not looking up from her task at hand.

"Are you leaving again?"

"Yes, Hinata. I'll be back soon though, okay?"

The younger Hyūga shuffled her way into her older sister's room with a sad look on her face, hands hiding behind her back as she continued watching Haruki.

"You won't do what kaa-chan did, will you?" asked Hinata in a scared voice, earning Haruki's full attention.

"What do you mean?"

"Kaa-chan told me she was going to see the doctor... but she never came back," whispered Hinata in a pained voice, causing Haruki to fill with sorrow. "You'll come back, won't you?"

Haruki's face contorted into a look of sadness as she held out her arms to her younger sister, embracing her as she shook in fear.

"Of course, Hinata," reassured Haruki, squeezing Hinata tight. "I'll be gone for a while, but I'll come back as soon as I can. Alright? Can you look after Hanabi for me while I'm gone?"

"Yes," said Hinata in a small voice, burying her face in her older sister's shoulder. "Don't go, nee-chan."

"I have to, Hinata. Just wait for me, okay? I'll bring something back for you. What do you want?"

"Can you bring kaa-chan back?"

Haruki deflated, sensing how seriously Hinata wanted her to stay.

"I can bring something else. Like a toy, or maybe a new weapon for you to use when you're old enough. What do you say?"

"Please come back, nee-chan," said Hinata in a muffled voice.