Future Heiresses

"Nee-chan? Can you practise with me, please?"

Haruki gave Hanabi an apologetic smile as she sat on the couch.

"Sorry, I... I'm not feeling too well," said the elder Hyūga softly, resulting in a frown from Hanabi. "But you go on ahead and practise your kunai throwing. Alright?"

"Alright."

Disappointed, Hanabi trudged out of the house with her shoulders slumped, causing a twinge of guilt in Haruki's heart. Five months into her secret pregnancy, Haruki hadn't raised any suspicions whatsoever from her father, or even any other clan members. However, she knew she couldn't keep it hidden forever, especially with her baby bump growing bigger and bigger every month.

With a sigh, Haruki rose to her feet and headed to the kitchen to get dinner ready for when her father and Hinata would return home.

*

"Haruki, I know this is out of place, but you seem to have gained weight. Are you still training?"

Haruki pursed her lips as her father brought her weight up that night.

"Yes, otou-san," she said carefully, subtilely avoiding his gaze.

"Right, I just wanted to check. Hanabi, how is school?"

"It's good, otou-san."

"How would you like to start training with your sister?"

Hanabi let out a squeal of excitement as she slammed both hands down on the table, looking between Hinata and their father enthusiastically.

"Yes!" cheered Hanabi happily, pinching Hinata in the arm. "Nee-chan! We can be training buddies!"

"Now, Hanabi, it isn't an opportunity for you two to play," chastised Hiashi, frowning at his youngest child. "It's serious business. And now that Haruki is getting older and able to take care of her own training, I need to make sure you two are just as prepared as she was at your age. Do you think you two could beat your sister's record of becoming a jōnin at fourteen?"

"I'll become a jōnin now!" announced Hanabi boastfully, making her oldest sister and father crack a smile.

"Looks like I've been beat," chuckled Haruki, winking at Hanabi. "Hanabi for heiress!"

Hanabi's eyes widened.

"Really? Can I, otou-san? Can I?!"

"Your sister was just joking," said Hiashi, giving Hanabi a small grin. "But maybe if you train hard enough, we might be able to consider it."

Usually, Haruki would have indignantly rebuked her father's playful words, but she now lacked the courage to do even that.

Well, I guess you'll consider it more when you find out about this, thought Haruki darkly, continuing to eat in silence.

"Wait- but I can't be heiress," pouted Hanabi, pointing at Hinata. "After nee-chan, it's nee-chan!"

"Why don't we all be heiress?" suggested Haruki, earning a look of surprise from Hinata.

"Yay! Otou-san, you can be an heiress too!"

The family burst into laughter, with even Hiashi finding the humour in his youngest daughter's comment.

"Now, now, you'll both have to wait in line behind Haruki," mused Hiashi, smiling at Hanabi. "But, if you can defeat her, then you can be heiress. Sounds fair, right?"

Hanabi gave her father a glum look.

"I can never beat nee-chan!"