Hinata's First Day

"Nee-chan, I'm scared."

As Haruki prepared Hinata for her first day of school at the Academy, the younger Hyūga voiced her fears as her older sister brushed her hair. Their father had been out on a mission for the Hokage, meaning that he wasn't able to be there for Hinata's special day. As a result, another adult clan member had been enlisted to take care of the three Hyūga daughters in his absence, but they did little more than watch over Haruki caring for her sisters.

"There's nothing to be scared of, Hinata," said Haruki softly, sitting on the bed behind Hinata as she ran her hairbrush through her short, silky tresses. "You'll be fine. Besides, Neji's only a couple of classes above you. If you need help, just ask him."

"N-Neji doesn't like me."

"Nonsense," scoffed Haruki, placing her brush on the bed and placing her hands on Hinata's shoulders. "If he even ignores you, I'll talk to him myself."

"O-Okay..."

Hinata got to her feet as Haruki patted her to stand.

"Go on, get your shoes on and then we can leave," urged Haruki, following Hinata out of her bedroom and down the stairs. In the living room, she could hear one of her clan members feeding Hanabi, and called out, "I'm taking Hinata to school! I'll be back soon!"

"Okay!"

Grabbing her little sister's backpack and helping her put it on, Haruki bent down to put on Hinata's shoes before ushering her out the front door.

"You'll make a lot of new friends!" said Haruki excitedly, holding out her hand as Hinata subconsciously reached out for it. "I made some friends while I was there too!"

"R-Really?"

"Of course," said Haruki proudly, swinging her and Hinata's intertwined hands back and forth as they headed off towards the Academy. "Lots and lots of them!"

"Nee-chan... I'm scared," whispered Hinata in a stricken voice, her free hand immediately latching onto the crystal necklace that hung from her neck. "What if they're mean to me?"

"Ignore them. But if someone pushes you, you make damn sure that you push them back. Alright?"

"But otou-san would get mad, wouldn't he...?"

"Actually, the opposite. But, you know. I didn't say anything."

Hinata stopped in her tracks, lip trembling.

"Hinata?"

"I miss okaa-san," whispered the child, her pale eyes welling with tears as her hand dropped from Haruki's. "I'm scared, nee-chan. I don't want to go."

Haruki sighed and squatted so that she was at eye level with Hinata, holding her by her shoulders.

"I know that it's scary, but once you get used to it, you'll find out that it's very fun," she said reassuringly. "Trust me. Okaa-san will be watching out for you as well, so there's no reason for you to be afraid. Alright?"

Sniffling as she wiped away her tears with the back of her sleeve, Hinata nodded at her sister's words.

"Let's go!" said Haruki enthusiastically.